Books describing how computers work

by Lightspeed5
Tags: books, computers, describing, work
Lightspeed5
Feb26-14, 10:00 AM
P: 3
I don't mean coding, but on a more fundamental and physical level. What happens in all the hardware of a computer that allows it to do all that it does and display it on your screen? Essentially, what happens in a computer that allows it to tell you that 1+1=2.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong section.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
berkeman
Feb26-14, 12:06 PM
Mentor
P: 39,638
Quote Quote by Lightspeed5 View Post
I don't mean coding, but on a more fundamental and physical level. What happens in all the hardware of a computer that allows it to do all that it does and display it on your screen? Essentially, what happens in a computer that allows it to tell you that 1+1=2.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong section.
Check out the HowStuffWorks website -- they have some pretty good introductory articles on this...
Psinter
Mar1-14, 09:04 PM
P: 71
I wanted the exact same goal when I knew nothing about computers and I achieved it by reading monographs. There were monographs explaining how specific computer components looked like and worked so I took a not working computer, opened it and began matching components with their descriptions. I can tell you it works wonders.

But if you really want a book go for Digital Design. Once you are done with the exercises the way you see computers will definitely be different. I can give you my syllabus if you want for there are some exercises that are not worth doing. (Ignore the programming part)

harborsparrow
Mar5-14, 06:19 PM
P: 322

Books describing how computers work

Something like this would probably be useful. You can get low-cost older, used versions and they are just about as good: http://www.amazon.com/Structured-Com...dp_kinw_strp_1
Cowpoke
Mar17-14, 02:16 AM
P: 7
This is where a 'Windows-type' interface is less beneficial. When I was Learning computers we had to do the math for the and/or logical gates etc. Point-and-click computer courses no longer (or rarely) teach this.
Avichal
Mar17-14, 09:02 AM
P: 282
You should look for books in:-
1) Electronics
2) Digital Design
3) Computer System Organisation

Register to reply