200,000 psi closed Thread response

In summary, the person is a 56-year-old with only a high school education and limited knowledge. They have a shop with equipment from Harbor Freight and have achieved something that experts in the field said couldn't be done. They sought help on the forum but were told to seek a professional engineer. They will continue their project and may update the forum on their progress. The conversation also includes apologies and concerns for the person's safety in a high-pressure operation. The forum members recommend getting expert help to design and fabricate the part safely.
Andersonaz1965
Yes I fully understand that the people on this form have all of the schooling , degrees and knowledge that they have accumulated to accomplish all kinds of things.
And buy my simple question, I did put on display my complete lack of knowledge in the things pertaining to my question. And you are absolutely right, I do have no idea what I'm doing.
I am 56 years old, with just a high school education. I have a shop, a large drill press, and a mill lathe that I got from Harbor freight. I don't know a lot of things.
But what I do know is that four years ago I had an idea. And last year I built my first working prototype.
And by tossing aside all of the normal working parameters I have accomplished what many experts in the field have said could not be done, and I have broken records that have been established since the 1960s!

I came to this form looking for honest help. And after making my first post, I was told to stop what I am doing immediately and seek out a professional engineer. I thought that's what I was doing by making the post on this form. I can see that what I stumbled across , was a bunch of people with high education but with no vision.

Thank you for your time in responding to my question, you can now go back to your book and read about other people's accomplishments or you can answer someone else's post and try to discourage them also.
As for me I'm going back out into the shop, and in a few months you will be reading about my accomplishments.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cool story i guess

Please accept our apologies. I think that SteamKing may have misinterpreted what you were asking. There was a concern for your safety in such a high pressure operation.

If I understand correctly what you are asking is "what wall thickness should I use to be safe?" If you are willing (probably not), we can give it another shot. Any chance?

Chet

Likes OCR
Chestermiller said:
Please accept our apologies. I think that SteamKing may have misinterpreted what you were asking. There was a concern for your safety in such a high pressure operation.

If I understand correctly what you are asking is "what wall thickness should I use to be safe?" If you are willing (probably not), we can give it another shot. Any chance?

Chet
Sure no problem, let me get some more information together so I can better explain what I'm trying to accomplish. Thank you I'll try to get back with you tomorrow.

Google suggests using Lame's formulae?

Locked pending moderation.

Hi Andersonaz1965,

I'm sure you are aware of how dangerous what you are trying to do is. I have discussed your request with several staff members, and we are all in agreement on how to proceed. We could easily do some calculations on your system to develop a rough estimate of how thick to make the wall. And we could also make recommendations about how to design the part so as to avoid stress concentrations. But, in the end, we could not be sufficiently confident in the results to risk your safety on the outcome. Personally, if I had to design this part, I would do a first cut at the design, and then enlist the help of an expert to run a finite element stress analysis on the part. I would also depend on an expert to give me advice on how to fabricate the part and operate it safely. This is our recommendation to you. You really need to take every possible precaution so that your life is not at risk. I hope you understand.

Chet

Likes CWatters

Related to 200,000 psi closed Thread response

1. What does "200,000 psi" mean in relation to a closed thread response?

The term "200,000 psi" refers to the maximum pressure that the threaded connection can withstand before it fails. This is an indication of the strength and durability of the thread.

2. How is the closed thread response measured in terms of pressure?

The closed thread response is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi), which is a unit of pressure. This measurement indicates the amount of force exerted on the thread.

3. What is the importance of a closed thread response in scientific experiments?

A closed thread response is important in scientific experiments because it ensures that the threaded connection can withstand high levels of pressure without failing. This is crucial for maintaining the integrity of the experiment and obtaining accurate results.

4. How does a closed thread response differ from an open thread response?

A closed thread response refers to a threaded connection that is fully engaged and can withstand high levels of pressure, while an open thread response refers to a connection that is partially engaged and may not be able to withstand as much pressure.

5. Can a closed thread response be used in all scientific experiments?

It depends on the specific requirements of the experiment. A closed thread response may be suitable for experiments that involve high levels of pressure, but other types of threaded connections may be more appropriate for different types of experiments.