Finding height of flower pot dropper above you

• Thread starter mfiorillo919
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, to determine the height h from which the flower pot was dropped, you can use the kinematic equation that relates initial and final velocities, acceleration, and distance traveled. Since the pot was dropped from above, the initial velocity is 0 and the acceleration is due to gravity. With this information, you can solve for h in terms of Lw, g, and t.
mfiorillo919

Homework Statement

As you look out of your dorm window, a flower pot suddenly falls past. The pot is visible for a time t, and the vertical length of your window is Lw. Take down to be the positive direction, so that downward velocities are positive and the acceleration due to gravity is the positive quantity g. From what height h above the bottom of your window was the flower pot dropped?Express your answer in terms of Lw, g, t.
Assume that the flower pot was dropped by someone on the floor above you (rather than thrown downward).

Homework Equations

Not sure where to even begin

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that i need to use the kinematic equation that relates initial and final velocities, acceleration, and distance traveled, so that I can solve for h, but all the equations are including time in them and I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know how long it took the dropped object to move from the top of the window to the bottom of the window, and you know the height of the window. That's enough information to calculate the speed of the object as it passed the top of the window.

how would i figure out the time, i know the initial time is 0, and the initial velocity is 0 and acceleration is gravity, how would i put these terms in the into an equation though to find out the height

While the pot is outside your window, it is free-falling under gravity. As it comes into view at the top of the window pane, the pot has a velocity which you could denote as u. You don't know much about u, but you do know that, with that initial velocity, and falling under gravity, the pot travels a distance Lw in t seconds. Do you have an equation that relates all those parameters? That will get you started.

First, we need to define our variables. Let h be the height of the flower pot above the bottom of the window, Lw be the vertical length of the window, g be the acceleration due to gravity, and t be the time the flower pot is visible.

Next, we can use the kinematic equation for displacement to relate these variables:

h = Lw + 0.5gt^2

Since we are assuming the flower pot was dropped, its initial velocity is 0, so we can simplify the equation to:

h = 0.5gt^2

Now, we need to find a way to express t in terms of Lw and g. We can use the kinematic equation for velocity to do this:

v = gt

Since the flower pot is falling at a constant velocity, we can set its final velocity to 0, and solve for t:

0 = gt

t = 0

Now we can substitute this value for t into our original equation for h:

h = 0.5g(0)^2

h = 0

This means that the height of the flower pot above the bottom of the window was 0, which makes sense since it was dropped from the floor above. So the answer to the question is simply:

The flower pot was dropped from a height of 0 above the bottom of the window.

1. How do you find the height of a flower pot dropper above you?

To find the height of a flower pot dropper above you, you will need a ruler, measuring tape, or any other measuring tool. Stand directly below the flower pot dropper and hold the measuring tool vertically against the ground. Measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the flower pot dropper. This will give you the height of the flower pot dropper above you.

2. What is the purpose of finding the height of a flower pot dropper?

The purpose of finding the height of a flower pot dropper is to determine the distance between the flower pot and yourself. This information can be useful for gardening, decorating, or any other task that requires precise measurements.

3. Can you use a smartphone or other electronic device to find the height of a flower pot dropper?

Yes, you can use a smartphone or other electronic device to find the height of a flower pot dropper. There are many apps available that use the device's camera and sensors to accurately measure the height of objects.

4. Is it important to find the exact height of a flower pot dropper?

The exact height of a flower pot dropper may not be crucial for all situations, but it is always helpful to have accurate measurements. If the flower pot dropper is hanging from a ceiling or a tree branch, knowing the exact height can prevent accidents or damage to the pot or surrounding objects.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when finding the height of a flower pot dropper?

When finding the height of a flower pot dropper, make sure to stand directly below it and use caution when using a ladder or other equipment to reach higher objects. It is also important to ensure the measuring tool is stable and secure before taking any measurements.