Flower pot falls past a window

• Thread starter eay444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the height from which a flower pot was dropped outside a dorm window. The equations used were L=Viw*t+.5gt^2 and Viw=Vfd=sqrt(2gx). The solution attempted was (4L^2-4Lgt^2+g^2t^4+8gLt^2)/(8gt^2)=x+L. However, the answer was incorrect and the person was seeking help to understand their mistake.
eay444

Homework Statement

As you look out of your dorm window, a flower pot suddenly falls past. The pot is visible for a time t, and the vertical length of your window is L. Take down to be the positive direction, so that downward velocities are positive and the acceleration due to gravity is the positive quantity g.

Assume that the flower pot was dropped by someone on the floor above you (rather than thrown downward).

From what height h above the bottom of your window was the flower pot dropped?

Homework Equations

So here's what I did...

I set L=Viw*t+.5gt^2, where Viw is equal to the initial velocity of the flower pot at the top of the window.

Then I set Viw=Vfd=sqrt(2gx), where Vfd is the velocity of the pot after it reaches the top of the window and x is equal to the displacement from the dropping point to the top of the window.

The Attempt at a Solution

So here is what I tried,

First I solved for Viw

Viw=(L-.5gt^2)/(t)

Then I set this equal to the quantity Vfd or...

Vfd=Viw=(L-.5gt^2)/(t)=sqrt(2gx)

Finally I solved for x+L and got

(4L^2-4Lgt^2+g^2t^4+8gLt^2)/(8gt^2)=x+L=h

I know my answers wrong, but I'm not sure why? I've rechecked my work several times and there's something that I'm not seeing. Can somebody please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I would say

Up until the window
x=.5gT^2
Vw=gT
T=Vw/g

through the window
L=Vw*t+.5g*t^2
Vw=(L-.5gt^2)/t

all together
H=x+L
H=Vw^2/(2g)+L
H=(L-.5gt^2)^2/(2g*t^2)+L

whatever that works out to be :)

1. What causes a flower pot to fall past a window?

There are a few potential causes for a flower pot falling past a window. It could be due to strong winds, improper placement or installation of the pot, or accidental bumping or knocking over.

2. What impact does the height of the window have on the fall of the flower pot?

The height of the window can impact the speed and force at which the flower pot falls, but it is not the only determining factor. Other factors such as the weight and shape of the pot, as well as wind speed, also play a role.

3. Can a flower pot falling past a window cause damage?

Yes, a falling flower pot can potentially cause damage to the window, as well as anything or anyone in its path. It is important to properly secure and place flower pots to prevent accidents and damage.

4. How can I prevent a flower pot from falling past a window?

To prevent a flower pot from falling past a window, make sure it is securely placed on a stable surface and is not in a location where it can easily be knocked over. Consider using brackets or other supports to secure the pot to the window or wall.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when placing flower pots near windows?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when placing flower pots near windows. Make sure they are not in a location where they can easily be knocked over, and consider using safety brackets or other supports. Also, be mindful of strong winds and severe weather that could potentially cause the pot to fall.