A circuit breaker does not work properly?

In summary, when you turn off the light at the breaker, all the lights in the house turn off, but the mains (hot and neutral) become hot. This happens because the breaker trips for 3 times the rated current in 10 seconds. If you have an incandescent light bulb, it will be at least 50% drop in voltage. If you connect a large, or a receiver, to the circuit, it will trip the breaker. Make sure that the breaker is properly grounded and consult a licensed electrician if you have problems with your wiring.
Michael George
I live in Egypt where we use 220V AC / 10 A.
When I turn light off at a circuit breaker, all lights turn off but both mains ( hot & neutral ) become hot.
When I test them, they both have electricity (live), so I afraid to touch them.
I would expect that they both become neutral ... Why does that happen ? and what is the solution ?
Thanks in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes Michael George
I don’t know the exact answer, of course. However I presume in Egypt the rated system voltage is 380/220 V indeed.Most of the dwellings are single-phase supplied.

In my opinion again, it has to be a short circuit or a large receiver in installation.

The circuit breaker will trip for 3 times rated current in 10 seconds.

In 10 sec. at 30 A a10 A circuit breaker could be hot.

If the lights are off -let's take these as incandescent bulbs- it could be at least 50% drop.

If at the end of a 100 m conductor of 1.5 mm^2 copper you'll connect a 3300 W receiver you'll get 30 A at the circuit breaker and a voltage drop of 50% [that means 110 V] for at least 10 seconds before it trips.

Likes Michael George
Make sure that the circuit breaker box is properly grounded. If is is not the neutral wires can become "hot" due to feedback from other circuits.

Likes Michael George
DEvens said:
Is your 220V AC a three phase system?

No, My house is a single-phase supplied. In Egypt, We have two mains only (hot and neutral). We don't have the third wire (ground) which is for safety.

Michael George said:
When I turn light off at a circuit breaker, all lights turn off but both mains ( hot & neutral ) become hot.

You need to consult a licensed electrician to figure out your problems with your house wiring. Thread is closed.

Likes DEvens and Babadag

1. Why is my circuit breaker not working properly?

There could be several reasons why a circuit breaker is not working properly. It could be due to a faulty breaker, an overloaded circuit, a short circuit, or a loose connection. It is important to consult a professional electrician to determine the exact cause.

2. How do I know if my circuit breaker is faulty?

If your circuit breaker constantly trips, even with minimal electrical load, it is likely that it is faulty. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and continuity of the breaker. If it shows no continuity or a significantly lower voltage, it may be time to replace the breaker.

3. Can an overloaded circuit cause a circuit breaker to not work?

Yes, an overloaded circuit can cause a circuit breaker to not work properly. When there is too much electrical load on a single circuit, it can trip the breaker, preventing it from working properly. It is important to distribute the electrical load evenly across different circuits to avoid overloading.

4. How do I fix a circuit breaker that is not working properly?

The best course of action is to consult a professional electrician to fix a circuit breaker that is not working properly. They will be able to accurately diagnose the issue and make necessary repairs or replacements to ensure the safe functioning of your electrical system.

5. Can a circuit breaker be reset if it is not working properly?

In some cases, a circuit breaker can be reset if it is not working properly. However, if the issue persists after resetting the breaker, it is likely that there is a larger underlying issue that needs to be addressed by a professional electrician. It is important not to continuously reset a faulty breaker as it can be a safety hazard.