'A' Level question on capacitors

• Thread starter jezza10181
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary: So, in summary, the total charge in the system is 36.0nC and each of the capacitors has 18.0nC on one plate and -18.0nC on the other plate. This is because when capacitors are connected in series, the plates connected to each other can only get charge from each other, while the plates connected to the battery get charge from the battery.
jezza10181
Homework Statement
Just for a laugh, I decided to try some A level physics questions (I am 50yrs old btw and did my physics A level over 30yrs ago :) ) & ran into this difficulty
Relevant Equations
Q = VC, 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2
I have been looking at this question:-
Capacitors.PNG
Now, I have found the charge in the whole system to be 36.0nC. I did this by 'condensing' the two 2.0nF into a single 4.0nF one, that then leaving me with an equivalent system of a 4.0nF capacitor & a 6.0nF one? I then found the equivalent capacitance of that ensemble using the 1/C = ... formula. I found this to be 2.4nF. From that I found the total charge in the system to be 36.0nC.

So, that would mean that each of the capacitors would have to have 18.0nC on them. So, as the 4.0nF 'equivalent' capacitor ,which is composed of the two 2.0nF capacitors, has 18.0nC on it, then that would mean each of the two 2.0nF capacitors has 9.0nC on it & not 18.0nC, as the question states.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Book answer is correct. Write the charges next to the capacitor plates to see why

18.0nC on the one 2nF, 18.0nC on the other, & 18.0nc on the 6.0nF? That is 54nC isn't it? I still don't see it, sorry

Over-all C is 2.4 nF, so -36 nC on rightmost plate: continue from there

1581589042170.png

Likes ehild
Surely, there would only be -36nC on the right most plate, if you were dealing with the equivalent situation of having a single capacitor of 2.4nF there?

jezza10181 said:
I have been looking at this question:-View attachment 257036Now, I have found the charge in the whole system to be 36.0nC. I did this by 'condensing' the two 2.0nF into a single 4.0nF one, that then leaving me with an equivalent system of a 4.0nF capacitor & a 6.0nF one? I then found the equivalent capacitance of that ensemble using the 1/C = ... formula. I found this to be 2.4nF. From that I found the total charge in the system to be 36.0nC.
that means, that replacing the whole system by a single capacitor, there is +36 nC charge on one plate and - 36 nC charge on the other plate.
When you connect two capacitors in series to a battery, the plates connected to the terminals of the battery get charge from the battery, but the plates connected to each other can get charge only from each other.
If the first plate of the first capacitor has Q charge,, there is -Q charge on
the opposite plate, and Q charge again on the first plate on the second capacitor, and -Q charge on the second plate on the second capacitor. It is analogous to the current through resistors connected in series.

Likes BvU and jezza10181
ehild said:
that means, that replacing the whole system by a single capacitor, there is +36 nC charge on one plate and - 36 nC charge on the other plate.
When you connect two capacitors in series to a battery, the plates connected to the terminals of the battery get charge from the battery, but the plates connected to each other can get charge only from each other.
If the first plate of the first capacitor has Q charge,, there is -Q charge on
the opposite plate, and Q charge again on the first plate on the second capacitor, and -Q charge on the second plate on the second capacitor. It is analogous to the current through resistors connected in series.
That's a great explanation, thanks. It's finally sunk in lolll

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, electrons are forced onto one of the plates, creating a buildup of negative charge. The other plate then becomes positively charged, and the capacitor is said to be charged. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor will discharge, releasing the stored energy.

3. What is the unit of capacitance?

The unit of capacitance is the farad (F). However, capacitors are often measured in smaller units such as microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF).

4. How do capacitors differ from batteries?

While both capacitors and batteries store energy, they do so in different ways. Batteries use chemical reactions to store energy, while capacitors store energy in the form of an electric field. Batteries also provide a steady source of energy, while capacitors release their energy quickly and then need to be recharged.

5. How do capacitors affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Capacitors can block or allow the flow of current in a circuit depending on the frequency of the current and the capacitance of the capacitor. At low frequencies, capacitors act as open circuits, blocking the flow of current. At high frequencies, capacitors act as short circuits, allowing current to pass through.