A Set in the plane is never isometric to a proper subset

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Set
In summary, the homework statement is asking if there exists a bounded set in the plane isometric to a proper subset. The Attempt at a Solution says that the answer is no, as every isometry of the plane is either a reflection, a rotation, a translation, or a glide reflection. Furthermore, if we assume the same metric for both sets, the conjecture that there exists an isometry from S to H is plausible.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Is there a bounded set ##H## in the plane which is isometric to a proper subset ##S \subset H##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that the answer is no. Here are my ideas, that by no means constitute a proof. Every isometry of the plane is either a reflection, a rotation, a translation, or a glide reflection. Now, let ##\phi## be an isometry. Then ##\phi(H) = S##. Now, anyone of these isometry types will result in an S such that there is at least one element of ##S## that is not in ##H##, meaning that ##S## can never be a proper subset of ##H##.

This is my thinking, but it is very sketchy. Am I on the right track? How could I get a rigorous proof out of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to the unit disc, if you map a point with distance ##r## to the origin to the point with distance ##r/2##?

fresh_42 said:
What happens to the unit disc, if you map a point with distance ##r## to the origin to the point with distance ##r/2##?
Could you clarify what you mean by the "if you map a point with distance ##r## to the origin to the point with distance ##r/2##?"

As said: Let ##(r,\varphi)## be the coordinates of a point on the disc, then map it to ##(r/2,\varphi)##.

fresh_42 said:
As said: Let ##(r,\varphi)## be the coordinates of a point on the disc, then map it to ##(r/2,\varphi)##.
How is that an isometry? For example, let ##f## be the proposed map that halves the x-coordinate. Then ##d ((3/4,0),(1/4,0)) = 1/2##. However, ##d (f(3/4,0),f(1/4,0)) = d((3/8,0),(1/8,0)) = 1/4##

Sorry, I read isomorphic and didn't quite know what you meant by it, my bad.

fresh_42 said:
Sorry, I read isomorphic and didn't quite know what you meant by it, my bad.
Do you have any input on the problem given that it's isometric and not isomorphic?

Not really. I was thinking about extremes as a discrete metric, or not connected sets. With an arbitrary metric and an arbitrary set - bounded only says we can draw it on our finite pieces of paper - I have not really an idea whether there cannot be some pathological constructions. Also isometry doesn't even require the same metric, so maybe we can find a counterexample with two non equivalent metrics.

Ok, I think we can assume the same metric, as subset means the same space, not only an embedding which I thought of. If you have this decomposition of isometries, then your idea looks good, as those constitutes do not change shape, but is this true for any metric?

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Ok, I think we can assume the same metric, as subset means the same space, not only an embedding which I thought of. If you have this decomposition of isometries, then your idea looks good, as those constitutes do not change shape, but is this true for any metric?
Since we are talking about the plane, don't we assume it is the Euclidean 2-metric by default?

your proof assumes the isometry from the set S to the set H extends to an isometry of the whole plane, which seems unwarranted to me. your conjecture however seems plausible to me, but I am not sure.

A thing is that isometries do not have to be homeomorphisms.

Last edited:
Mr Davis 97 said:
Now, anyone of these isometry types will result in an S such that there is at least one element of ##S## that is not in ##H##, meaning that ##S## can never be a proper subset of ##H##.
To me that just sounds like a different way to say what you are supposed to prove.

1. What is an isometric transformation?

An isometric transformation is a type of transformation in mathematics that preserves the distance between points. This means that the shape and size of an object remain unchanged after the transformation is applied.

2. Why is a set in the plane never isometric to a proper subset?

This is because an isometric transformation must preserve the distance between points, but a proper subset does not contain all the points of the original set. Therefore, it is not possible for the subset to have the same distance between points as the original set.

3. Can a set in the plane be isometric to a subset?

No, a set in the plane cannot be isometric to a subset. This is because a subset, by definition, contains fewer elements than the original set and therefore cannot have the same distance between points as the original set.

4. How can you prove that a set in the plane is never isometric to a proper subset?

This can be proven by showing that an isometric transformation cannot exist between the original set and the proper subset. This can be done by demonstrating that the distance between at least two points in the subset is different from the distance between those same points in the original set.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that a set in the plane is never isometric to a proper subset?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. An isometric transformation can only occur between two sets that have the same number of points and the same distance between those points. A proper subset, by definition, does not meet these criteria and therefore cannot be isometric to the original set.