Proof with sets and elements. Am I going about this right?

In summary, the proof for the statement "If A⊆B and B⊆C', then A ∩ C = ∅" involves showing that A∩C is equal to the empty set by using the definitions of subset, intersection, and empty set. By assuming that x is in both A and C, and using the given hypotheses, it can be concluded that x is also in both B and C'. Since an element cannot simultaneously be in a set and its complement, it follows that A∩C must be the empty set.
Master0fN0thing

Homework Statement

Give an element-wise proof for the following: If A⊆B and B⊆C', then A ∩ C = ∅

Homework Equations

A is a subset of B (written A ⊆ B) if every element in the set A is also an element in the set B. Formally, this means that fore every x, if x ∈ A, then x ∈ B.
A ∩ B = { x ∈ U : x ∈ A and x ∈ B }.
A set that contains no elements is called an empty set, and is denoted by { } or ∅.
A is equal to B (simply written A = B) means that A and B have exactly the same members. This is expressed formally by saying, “A ⊆ B and B ⊆ A.”

The Attempt at a Solution

Because there is an equal sign in the "then" statement, I know I have to show two case if each side being a subset of the other. So here is what I have so far...

Proof:
Let U be the universe that contain the sets A, B, and C. Let A and B be subsets of U such that A ⊆ B and let B and C' be subsets such that B ⊆ C'.

Case 1:
We will show that A ∩ C = ∅. Let x ∈ A ∩ C. Then x∈U, x∈A, and x∈C. Since x∈A, it follows that x∈B by our hypothesis. Also by our hypothesis, since x∈B, x∈C'. Since x∈C, and x∈C', ...

and this is where I'm getting lost. How do I go proving from here its the empty set? At this point isn't this saying that x is every element? Or am I thinking about this totally wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is [itex]A\subseteq B \land B\subseteq C'[/itex], assuming [itex]X'[/itex] means complement of set [itex]X[/itex]. You have shown that [itex]..x\in C\land x\in C'...[/itex], by definition of complement, such a situation can never occur, therefore ...? You can convert your initial formula to something that only consists of conjuctions. If there is an identically false "sub-conjunction", then the entire conjunction is identically false.
If you haven't learned discrete math, yet, disregard what I said about converting things.

You have the right idea, a matter of analyzing the information you have gathered.

1. What is the definition of a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements that are grouped together based on a common characteristic or property.

2. How do you prove that two sets are equal?

To prove that two sets are equal, you must show that they have the same elements. This can be done by using the subset and superset method, where you show that each set is a subset of the other and a superset of the other.

3. Can an element be in more than one set?

Yes, an element can be in more than one set. This is called a common element and it is one of the ways to prove that two sets are not equal.

4. What is an example of proof with sets and elements?

An example of proof with sets and elements is proving that the set of even numbers is a subset of the set of integers by showing that every even number, such as 2, 4, or 6, is also an integer.

5. What is the importance of using sets and elements in proofs?

Sets and elements provide a structured and organized way to analyze and prove mathematical concepts. They allow us to clearly define and categorize objects, making it easier to understand and communicate mathematical ideas and proofs.