Elementary property of cosets

In summary: That's what you did in the proof. Good job.So, you have a second solution for ##x##, call it ##y##. Then ##xb = yb## and by cancelling ##b## you get ##x = y##. So the solution is unique.One reason for the uniqueness theorem is that it is not hard to prove that if two solutions of ##a = xb## are different, one can be obtained from the other by left multiplying both sides by an element of the group. So if ##x## and ##y## are two solutions, ##yx^-1## is a member of the group and ##a = xb## implies ##a(yx^{-1}) = (xy^{-
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

Let G be a group, and H a subgroup of G. Let a and b denote elements of G. Prove the following:

1. ##Ha = Hb## iff ##ab^{-1} \epsilon H##.

Homework Equations

Let ##e_H## be the identity element of H.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof: <= Suppose ##ab^{-1} \epsilon H##. Then ##abb^{-1} = a \epsilon Hb##. Since ##H## is a subgroup, ##e_H \epsilon H##. So ##e_Ha = a \epsilon Ha##. Since ##Ha## and ##Hb## share a common element, we must have ##Ha = Hb##.

=> Suppose ##Ha = Hb##. Since ##e_ha = a \epsilon Ha##, we have ##a \epsilon Hb##. So there must be some solution to ##a = xb## where ##x \epsilon H##. Observe, ##a = (ab^{-1})b## so ##ab^{-1} \epsilon H## necessarily?

I'm not sure why ##ab^{-1}## would be the only solution. I think it has something to do with, if we wrote out the Cayley table for H, and there were two solutions for a = xb, then it wouldn't look right. Because in a Cayley table every element is in every row and every column. So we'd have an element missing in a row.

Also I didn't use the fact H is abelian so did I missing something there?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is hard to correct, because it is so easy, that obvious and for reason is hard to distinguish.
fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

Let G be a group, and H a subgroup of G. Let a and b denote elements of G. Prove the following:

1. ##Ha = Hb## iff ##ab^{-1} \epsilon H##.

Homework Equations

Let ##e_H## be the identity element of H.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof: <= Suppose ##ab^{-1} \epsilon H##. Then ##abb^{-1} = a \epsilon Hb##.
Why? From ##ab^{-1}\in H ## we get ##ab^{-1}=h## for some ##h\in H##. Then ##a=ab^{-1}b=hb\in Hb##. But why ##abb^{-1}\,.## And Abelian isn't an argument, for a) you haven't required it and b) it isn't required at all. It looks as if you used what you wanted to show.
Since ##H## is a subgroup, ##e_H \epsilon H##. So ##e_Ha = a \epsilon Ha##. Since ##Ha## and ##Hb## share a common element, we must have ##Ha = Hb##.

=> Suppose ##Ha = Hb##. Since ##e_ha = a \epsilon Ha##, we have ##a \epsilon Hb##.
I guess ##e_h=e_H\,.##
So there must be some solution to ##a = xb## where ##x \epsilon H##.
Yes, and therefore ##ab^{-1}=(xb)b^{-1}=x\in H.## I don't understand the rest.
Observe, ##a = (ab^{-1})b## so ##ab^{-1} \epsilon H## necessarily?

I'm not sure why ##ab^{-1}## would be the only solution. I think it has something to do with, if we wrote out the Cayley table for H, and there were two solutions for a = xb, then it wouldn't look right. Because in a Cayley table every element is in every row and every column. So we'd have an element missing in a row.

Also I didn't use the fact H is abelian so did I missing something there?

Thank you for the reply, and sorry about all the typos.

fresh_42 said:
Why? From ab−1∈Hab−1∈Hab^{-1}\in H we get ab−1=hab−1=hab^{-1}=h for some h∈Hh∈Hh\in H. Then a=ab−1b=hb∈Hba=ab−1b=hb∈Hba=ab^{-1}b=hb\in Hb. But why abb−1.abb−1.abb^{-1}\,. And Abelian isn't an argument, for a) you haven't required it and b) it isn't required at all. It looks as if you used what you wanted to show.

I meant to say, like you wrote: <= Suppose ##ab^{-1} \epsilon H##. Then ##(ab^{-1})b = a(b^{-1}b) = a \epsilon H##. Since ##Ha## and ##Hb## share an element other than ##e_H##, it follows ##Ha = Hb##.

For the 2nd part, => Suppose ##Ha = Hb##. Then ##a \epsilon Hb##. So there exists some ##h \epsilon H## such that ##a = hb##. Multiplying by ##b^{-1}##, we get ##ab^{-1} = hbb^{-1} = h##. So ##ab^{-1} \epsilon H##.

fresh_42 said:
I don't understand the rest.

I think I was confused about if ##x,y,z \epsilon G## for some group G and ##xy = xz## then does ##y = z##? And I see that it is true by multiplying ##x^{-1}## on both sides..

fresh_42 said:
And Abelian isn't an argument, for a) you haven't required it and b) it isn't required at all.
I think because ##abb^{-1} = a(bb^{-1}) = ae_H = a(b^{-1}b) = ab^{-1}b##

fishturtle1 said:
I'm not sure why ##ab^{-1}## would be the only solution.

It's good to be suspicious about such things. Consult your course materials. In most presentations there is a theorem that says ##a = xb## has a unique solution for x.

In group theory, one can "do the same operation to both sides" of an equality and produce another equality, but the operation is limited to multiplying both sides by an element of the group. Explaining why this technique is reliable is an interesting exercise in logic! - perhaps an advanced exercise because it's hard to prove things that seem obvious.

Accepting the technique is valid, you could solve for ##x## by multiplying both sides of ##a = xb## on the right by ##b^-1##.

Likes fishturtle1

1. What is an elementary property of cosets?

An elementary property of cosets is the fact that they form a partition of the underlying group, meaning that every element of the group belongs to exactly one coset.

2. How are cosets related to subgroups?

Cosets are closely related to subgroups, as they are formed by taking a subgroup and multiplying all of its elements by a fixed element from the original group. In fact, the number of cosets of a subgroup is equal to the index of the subgroup in the original group.

3. What is the significance of cosets in group theory?

Cosets play an important role in the study of group theory, as they allow us to break down a group into smaller, more manageable pieces. They also help us understand the structure of a group and its subgroups.

4. Can cosets be used to prove theorems about groups?

Yes, cosets can be used to prove many important theorems in group theory. For example, Lagrange's theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the original group, can be proven using cosets.

5. Are cosets unique?

No, cosets are not unique as there can be multiple cosets for a given subgroup. However, the number of cosets is always the same for a particular subgroup, and they are all equal in size.