AC circuit analysis involving resistors and inductors

In summary, The conversation is about solving a circuit and finding the current values. The suggested approach is to rearrange the components and convert them to reactance, then transform the Y configuration to delta. The final step is to convert the voltage and phase values to complex numbers and use them to calculate the currents. The person asking for help is working on a coursework for university and is unsure about converting the L and C components to reactance.
Franklie001
Poster has been reminded (again) to show their work on schoolwork problems
Summary:: Hi anyone can explain me how to solve this circuit, finding the current I2 and I1?
Really don't know where to start Thanks

1638448782746.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this school work?
Make it easier to recognise the circuit by first migrating C1 to be next to R1. Then C2 to be next to L2. Make the base line ground.

Convert L and C to reactance. Then write the three impedances composed of series R, L & C as complex numbers, Z = R + Xj .

Transform Y to delta. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_transform
Now there are no floating nodes.
You have voltage and phase, convert them to complex.
Work out the currents from there.

Hi thanks for your help, yes it's a coursework from uni
How do i convert the L and C to reactance by the way?

Should i have to convert also the voltages as complex number too?

Thank you

Franklie001 said:
How do i convert the L and C to reactance by the way?
XL = ω⋅L
XC = -1 / ω⋅C
ω=2⋅π⋅f

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the current periodically changes direction. This is in contrast to a DC (direct current) circuit where the current flows in only one direction.

2. What are resistors and inductors?

Resistors and inductors are two types of passive electronic components commonly used in AC circuits. Resistors are designed to resist the flow of current and are measured in ohms. Inductors, on the other hand, are designed to store energy in the form of a magnetic field and are measured in henries.

3. How do I analyze an AC circuit with resistors and inductors?

To analyze an AC circuit with resistors and inductors, you will need to use the principles of Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. Ohm's Law states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the current flowing through it multiplied by its resistance. Kirchhoff's Laws state that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node, and the sum of voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero.

4. What is the phase difference between voltage and current in an AC circuit with resistors and inductors?

In an AC circuit with resistors and inductors, the voltage and current will have a phase difference due to the inductive properties of the circuit. The phase difference can be calculated using the formula tan⁡(φ) = XL/R, where XL is the inductive reactance and R is the resistance. This phase difference can also be represented by a phase angle on a phasor diagram.

5. How do I calculate the impedance of an AC circuit with resistors and inductors?

The impedance of an AC circuit with resistors and inductors is the total opposition to the flow of current in the circuit. It is calculated using the formula Z = √(R^2 + XL^2), where R is the resistance and XL is the inductive reactance. This impedance can also be represented by a phasor on a phasor diagram.