Bridge/Ladder Circuit and Node Voltage Method

In summary, the conversation discusses using the node voltage method to solve a bridge/ladder circuit and checking the results using Ohm's law and Kirchoff's law. The possibility of getting incorrect results despite them adding up to 0 is also mentioned.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 3.24.28 PM.png

Homework Equations

Node Voltage Method
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have never worked with a bridge/ladder circuit before and I am not sure if I am doing it correctly. My professor never gave us an example of a bridge/ladder so I'm kinda winging it. Anyway can I apply node voltage method to this circuit just like any other? I tried doing that, but I got some weird answers, so I don't know if it is correct. Did I make some small mistake in my equations? Or are my equations completely wrong?

New Doc 19.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:
I tried doing that, but I got some weird answers, so I don't know if it is correct. Did I make some small mistake in my equations? Or are my equations completely wrong?
Just check the result by means of Ohm's law:

Currents toward V1 =

( 2V - 28/19 V ) / 2kΩ
- 28/19 V / 8kΩ
- 6/19 V / 4 kΩ = ( must be zero )

Same check with V2

Hesch said:
Just check the result by means of Ohm's law:

Currents toward V1 =

( 2V - 28/19 V ) / 2kΩ
- 28/19 V / 8kΩ
- 6/19 V / 4 kΩ = ( must be zero )

Same check with V2
It works with Ohms law, but does that mean that it's correct? It feels like this way of checking will always give you the right answer? So just because they add up to 0 doesn't make them the correct values is what I am getting at. Or is this not right?

A good tactic I use is to check with the Kirchoff's law that you didn't use for the solution. If you use KCL to solve it, use KVL to check it.

Marcin H said:
So just because they add up to 0 doesn't make them the correct values is what I am getting at. Or is this not right?
Show me an incorrect result that will be accepted as correct by means of the "Ohm's law test".

Your circuit is not a bistable or "multistable" circuit.

Likes Marcin H

1. What is a Bridge/Ladder Circuit?

A Bridge/Ladder Circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of four resistors connected in a rectangular shape, with one resistor at each corner. It is used to measure unknown resistance values or to balance a circuit.

2. How does the Bridge/Ladder Circuit work?

The Bridge/Ladder Circuit works by comparing the unknown resistance with a known resistance in a balanced condition. When the circuit is balanced, the voltage across the bridge is zero, indicating that the resistance values are equal.

3. What is the Node Voltage Method?

The Node Voltage Method is a technique used to analyze electrical circuits by considering the voltage at each node (connection point) in the circuit. It involves writing Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) equations for each node and solving them simultaneously to determine the voltage at each node.

4. How do you use the Node Voltage Method to solve a Bridge/Ladder Circuit?

To use the Node Voltage Method to solve a Bridge/Ladder Circuit, you first need to label the nodes in the circuit and write KCL equations for each node. Then, you can use algebraic methods or a computer program to solve the equations and determine the voltage at each node. This will help you find the unknown resistance values in the circuit.

5. What are some advantages of using the Bridge/Ladder Circuit and Node Voltage Method?

One advantage of using the Bridge/Ladder Circuit and Node Voltage Method is that it provides an accurate and efficient way to measure unknown resistance values. It also allows for a more detailed analysis of the circuit, making it easier to troubleshoot and make modifications if needed. Additionally, these methods can be applied to both DC and AC circuits, making them versatile tools for scientific research and experiments.