AC to DC Conversion: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter Melloo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary: You would then need a way to switch between the batteries, such as a switch in the device or a separate battery controller. In summary, you can use a 12V battery with a 5V regulator to provide the 5V lines. You can also make mistakes when doing this conversion, so make sure to get help from someone else if you need it.
Melloo
Hello all-

I'm not very keen on electricity but am hoping this question is simple enough somebody might be willing to help out.

I have a device that runs on 120v ac. Inside the device, the power supply converts the current to 1 12v-, 1 12v+ and 2 5v+. I'd like to remove the AC power supply and run the device off of a 12v battery.

The device consumes 19w ac, I did a simple watts=volts*amps calculation and got 6 amps of 12v power...that seems high. Is that correct?

Could I use a 12v battery with a 5v regulator to provide the 5v lines? Also any heads-up about mistakes I might make doing this conversion would be great. I can provide manufacturer schematics if needed.

Thanks in advance for your help and my apologies for being a novice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Melloo said:
Hello all-

I'm not very keen on electricity but am hoping this question is simple enough somebody might be willing to help out.

I have a device that runs on 120v ac. Inside the device, the power supply converts the current to 1 12v-, 1 12v+ and 2 5v+. I'd like to remove the AC power supply and run the device off of a 12v battery.

The device consumes 19w ac, I did a simple watts=volts*amps calculation and got 6 amps of 12v power...that seems high. Is that correct?

Could I use a 12v battery with a 5v regulator to provide the 5v lines? Also any heads-up about mistakes I might make doing this conversion would be great. I can provide manufacturer schematics if needed.

Thanks in advance for your help and my apologies for being a novice.

Welcome to the PF.

You would use the same basic power number whether the circuit is running off of 120Vrms or 12Vdc. 19W from 12V is 19/12 Amps from the 12V battery. There are efficiency considerations, but you can probably supply your output DC voltages with a total draw of about 2A from the 12V battery.

The most efficient way to make the 5V supplies is with DC-DC converters. You can get these pre-packaged from Radio Shack to run off of 12V, like from a cigarette lighter output in your car.

The 12V supply you can probably run directly from the battery, as long as the 12V specs can tolerate the variation of the 12V battery output (they probably can).

To make -12V, you will need an inverter DC-DC circuit, which is less commonly available as a pre-packaged device. You may need to make your own -- you can use the National Simple Switcher series as a starting point:

http://www.national.com/en/power/inverting_buck_boost_converters.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternatively, a second 12V battery could be used to provide the -12V.

Related to AC to DC Conversion: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is AC to DC conversion?

AC to DC conversion is the process of converting alternating current (AC) electrical energy into direct current (DC) electrical energy. AC is the type of electrical energy that is supplied by power plants and is used in most household and industrial appliances. DC is the type of electrical energy that is used in batteries and electronic devices.

2. Why is AC to DC conversion necessary?

AC to DC conversion is necessary because many electronic devices and appliances require DC electrical energy to function properly. AC is the most common form of electrical energy used in power grids, so it needs to be converted to DC for use in devices such as computers, cell phones, and televisions.

3. How does AC to DC conversion work?

AC to DC conversion works by using a device called a rectifier, which is made up of diodes that allow current to flow in only one direction. The AC electrical energy is fed through the rectifier, which then converts it into DC electrical energy. The resulting DC energy is then smoothed out by a capacitor before being used by the device.

4. What are the different types of AC to DC conversion?

There are two main types of AC to DC conversion: half-wave rectification and full-wave rectification. Half-wave rectification uses only one diode to convert AC to DC, resulting in a pulsating DC output. Full-wave rectification uses four diodes arranged in a bridge configuration to convert AC to DC, resulting in a smoother DC output.

5. Are there any drawbacks to AC to DC conversion?

One drawback of AC to DC conversion is that it can result in some energy loss during the conversion process. This is due to the fact that some energy is lost as heat in the rectifier and capacitor. Additionally, the process of AC to DC conversion can cause voltage fluctuations, which can be damaging to sensitive electronic devices if not properly regulated.