What Determines the Resolution Limit of a Microscope?

In summary,The angular resolution limit for a microscope is 1.22 lambda/D. To resolve two points sources, their distance must be greater than 1.22 lambda/NA. The derivation given in the book is simpler than the one given here.
eoghan
Hi there!
I wonder where the resolution limit for a microscope comes out. I know that the lens can act as a circular aperture of diameter D and so a point source is diffracted in a disk of angular aperture [tex] 1.22\lambda/D[/tex]
Two sources are resolved if their distance is greater than (without Abbe correction) [tex]1.22\lambda/NA[/tex]
How can I obtain this result?
I'm reading Jenkins and White and they start supposing two point sources, O on the axis of the lens and O' slightly above which form images I and I'. Each image consists of a disk and the angular separation of the disks when they are on the limit of resolution is [tex] 1.22\lambda/D[/tex]
When this condition holds, the wave from O' diffracted to I has zero intensity and the extreme rays O'BI and O'AI differ in path by 1.22lambda. (B is the top point of the lens, and A is the lower point; I is the position of the image of O and lies on the lens axis) Why do they differ in path by 1.22lambda?

I also attach the image, taken from the book, of the geometry
14iq0lw.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you have to derive first the size of the Airy disk in the focal plane. The rest is geometry.

I tried, but I'm not sure. The distance II' is
[tex]II'=f\sin(\theta)[/tex]
where f is the distance of I from the center of the lens.
The images are resolved if
[tex]II'\geq f\frac{1.22\lambda}{D}[/tex]
If we call f' the distance between O and the center of the lens, we have
[tex]\frac{OO'}{f'}=\frac{II'}{f}[/tex]
therefore at the limit of the resolution
[tex] \frac{OO'}{f'}=\frac{f\frac{1.22\lambda}{D}}{f}[/tex]
But from the geometry we know that
[tex] f'=\frac{\frac{D}{2}}{\tan(i)}\simeq\frac{D}{2sin(i)}[/tex]
Thus, in the end
[tex]OO'=\frac{1.22\lambda}{2\sin(i)}[/tex]

Is this all right? My doubt is that this derivation is much simpler than that given in textbook...

It may help to realize that angular resolution and linear resolution are related through the focal length of the lens 'f' and NA = D/2f (approximately).

described above

Hello,

The resolution limit for a microscope is known as the Airy disc, which is the result of diffraction caused by the lens acting as a circular aperture. This means that a point source of light is diffracted into a disk of angular aperture 1.22λ/D, where λ is the wavelength of light and D is the diameter of the lens.

To understand how this limit is obtained, we can look at the work of Jenkins and White. They start by considering two point sources, O and O', with O being on the axis of the lens and O' slightly above it. These two sources form images, I and I', respectively, which consist of disks. The angular separation of these disks when they are on the limit of resolution is 1.22λ/D.

When this condition is met, the wave from O' diffracted to I has zero intensity, meaning that the light is focused to a point. The extreme rays, O'BI and O'AI, differ in path by 1.22λ. This is because the path difference is equal to the difference in distances traveled by the two rays from the source to the lens and then to the image point. Since the light from O' is focused to a point, the path difference can be calculated using basic geometry and is found to be 1.22λ.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of the Airy disc and how it relates to the resolution limit of a microscope.

What is an Airy Disc in a microscope?

The Airy Disc is the image produced by a point source of light when viewed through a microscope. It is caused by diffraction of light passing through the objective lens, resulting in a circular pattern of light and dark rings.

Why is the Airy Disc important in microscopy?

The Airy Disc is important because it limits the resolution of a microscope. The smaller the Airy Disc, the greater the resolution of the microscope, allowing for clearer and more detailed images.

How is the size of the Airy Disc determined?

The size of the Airy Disc is determined by the numerical aperture (NA) of the objective lens and the wavelength of light being used. The smaller the NA and the shorter the wavelength, the smaller the Airy Disc will be.

What factors can affect the size of the Airy Disc?

The size of the Airy Disc can be affected by the quality of the microscope's optics, the quality of the light source, and the alignment of the microscope's components. Any imperfections or misalignments can cause the Airy Disc to be larger than expected.

How can the Airy Disc be minimized?

The Airy Disc can be minimized by using a high-quality microscope with well-aligned components, a high-quality light source, and a shorter wavelength of light. Additionally, using a higher NA objective lens can also help to reduce the size of the Airy Disc.