Amplify Arduino PWM with LM324 to 0-10V

In summary, the conversation is about using the LM324 to amplify a 0-5V signal from an Arduino to 0-10V, but the source of 5V cannot be amplified. It is suggested to use a DC to DC step up voltage converter to generate 12-15V for the opamp's supply pin. Some resources for background information and traditional boost converters are also mentioned. It is advised to not power the device off of the Arduino and to use a separate power source to control the load. The voltage requirement and output impedance will depend on the intended use of the 10V output.
Nelson Luis
I am using the LM324 to amplify the signal arduino pwm from 0-5 volts to 0-10 volts, but with the source of 5 volts can not amplify :( ... someone can help me to amplify this signal pwm

Engineering news on Phys.org
an opamp cannot make more volts than you give it as supply , that's all it has to work with. (well except for some special ones with built in voltage boost)
so you'll need to generate about 12 to 15 volts for the opamp's supply pin.

There exists a whole world of DC to DC step up voltage converters
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2767.pdf is about the simplest
you could start here for some background
http://www.ti.com/download/trng/docs/seminar/Topic_3_Lynch.pdf
and see this more traditional boost converter
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2700.pdf

Likes davenn
Thanks guys for fixing the 'necropost'

What will you be doing with the 10V output?
That will decide the voltage requirement and output impedance.

Likes donpacino
Just a note. I would not recommend powering your device off of the arduino.

Pull your power from somewhere else and use signal from the arduino to control your load.

If you use a DC DC converter, the power will be drawn from the ardunio itself.

1. What is the LM324 and how does it work with Arduino?

The LM324 is a quad operational amplifier that can be used to amplify signals from the Arduino. It has four independent amplifiers that can amplify a wide range of input signals and output voltages. It can be connected to the Arduino using the analog pins and powered using the 5V pin.

2. Why would I need to amplify the Arduino PWM to 0-10V?

The Arduino's default PWM output range is from 0-5V, which may not be suitable for some applications. By using the LM324, the PWM signal can be amplified to a range of 0-10V, allowing for more flexibility and precision in controlling external devices such as motors, lights, or sensors.

3. How do I connect the LM324 to the Arduino?

The LM324 can be connected to the Arduino using the analog pins. The output of the PWM pin on the Arduino should be connected to the input of one of the amplifiers on the LM324. The output of the amplifier can then be connected to the external device. The LM324 should also be powered using the 5V pin on the Arduino.

4. Can I use the LM324 to amplify other signals besides PWM?

Yes, the LM324 can amplify a wide range of signals, including DC voltage, AC voltage, and current. It can also be used as a comparator, oscillator, and voltage follower. Its versatility makes it a popular choice for many electronic projects.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using the LM324 with the Arduino?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the voltage and current ratings of the LM324 are not exceeded. The LM324 is also sensitive to noise, so it is recommended to use a bypass capacitor to reduce noise. It is also important to follow proper wiring and connection techniques to avoid any short circuits or damage to the components.