Angular Velocity and Tangential Acceleration Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to angular velocity and a rotating disk. The first question asks about the angular velocity of two points on the disk, with the given choices being twice as big, the same, half as big, or none of the above. The correct answer is that the angular velocity of both points is the same. The second question asks about the tangential acceleration of a point on the disk's rim when it is rotating counterclockwise at a constant rate, with the choices being positive, zero, negative, or impossible to determine. The correct answer is that the tangential acceleration is zero. The person asking for help has not shown their work yet and is seeking assistance.
allstar1
angular velocity help!

Hi, I need help with the following 2 questions. My answers have *********
next to them. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

1. A disk is rotating at a constant rate about a vertical axis through its center. Point Q is twice as far from the center of the disk as point P is. The angular velocity of Q at a given time is
Choices:
a) twice as big as P's
b) the same as P's *******************
c) half as big as P's
d) none of the above

i believe it's the same as P's, since and poing on radius r, has the same velocity on any point on the radius line.

2. When a disk rotates counterclockwise at a constant rate about a vertical axis through its center, the tangential acceleration of a point on the rim is
Choices:
a) positive.
b) zero. *******************
c) negative.
d) impossible to determine without more information.

i believe it's zero, since it's rotating at a constant rate, which means the acceleration is zero.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the PF Global Guidelines (to which you agreed), you have to show your work before you can receive help.

work is show to my answers.

anyone?

Related to Angular Velocity and Tangential Acceleration Explanation

1. What is angular velocity and how is it different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is a measure of the speed at which an object rotates around a fixed point. Linear velocity, on the other hand, is the rate of change of linear displacement over time. It measures the speed at which an object moves in a straight line.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

3. What factors affect angular velocity?

The factors that affect angular velocity include the angular acceleration, the moment of inertia of the object, and any external torques acting on the object. The mass and shape of the object also play a role in determining its angular velocity.

4. Why is angular velocity important in physics and engineering?

Angular velocity is important in physics and engineering because it helps describe the motion of rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and motors. It is also used to calculate the torque and power of rotating systems, and is essential in understanding concepts like angular momentum and centripetal force.

5. How can I change the angular velocity of an object?

The angular velocity of an object can be changed by applying an external torque to the object. This can be done by using forces, such as friction or gravity, or by using motors or other mechanical devices. The moment of inertia of the object also plays a role in how easily its angular velocity can be changed.