Another centripetal Acceleration problem

In summary: This force is perpendicular to the surface and balances out the centripetal force, keeping the object in equilibrium.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

(a) What is the tangential acceleration of a bug on the rim of a 78 rpm record 10 in. in diameter if the record moves from rest to its final angular velocity in 3 s? (b) When the record is at its final speed, what is the tangential velocity of the bug? Its tangential acceleration? Its radial acceleration?

Homework Equations

ω = ωo + [itex]\alpha[/itex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved everything in the problem accept the second and third part of (b). I managed to calculate the tangential velocity of the bug just fine. The way I read this question is that once it hits 78 rpm it stops accelerating and that becomes the final velocity. This would cause the tangential acceleration in part (b) to be zero which my book agrees with. The third part of (b) I don't understand though. The book says that the radial acceleration at that point would be 8.39 m/s. If the tangential acceleration is zero, how could there be a radial acceleration and how would I calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:
I have solved everything in the problem accept the second and third part of (b). I managed to calculate the tangential velocity of the bug just fine. The way I read this question is that once it hits 78 rpm it stops accelerating and that becomes the final velocity. This would cause the tangential acceleration in part (b) to be zero which my book agrees with. The third part of (b) I don't understand though. The book says that the radial acceleration at that point would be 8.39 m/s. If the tangential acceleration is zero, how could there be a radial acceleration and how would I calculate it?

It's talking about the inward acceleration needed to move in a circle at a constant speed

(The centripetal acceleration from "uniform circular motion")

BrainMan said:

Homework Statement

(a) What is the tangential acceleration of a bug on the rim of a 78 rpm record 10 in. in diameter if the record moves from rest to its final angular velocity in 3 s? (b) When the record is at its final speed, what is the tangential velocity of the bug? Its tangential acceleration? Its radial acceleration?

Homework Equations

ω = ωo + [itex]\alpha[/itex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved everything in the problem [STRIKE]accept [/STRIKE] except the second and third part of (b). I managed to calculate the tangential velocity of the bug just fine. The way I read this question is that once it hits 78 rpm it stops accelerating and that becomes the final velocity. This would cause the tangential acceleration in part (b) to be zero which my book agrees with. The third part of (b) I don't understand though. The book says that the radial acceleration at that point would be 8.39 m/s. If the tangential acceleration is zero, how could there be a radial acceleration and how would I calculate it?
Does an object undergoing uniform circular motion have a non-zero acceleration?
If no: isn't its the direction of its velocity changing?

If yes: What is that acceleration called, & what is its direction?​

Darn !
Nathanael beat me !

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
It's talking about the inward acceleration needed to move in a circle at a constant speed

(The centripetal acceleration from "uniform circular motion")

I wonder why they would call it the radial acceleration instead of the centripetal acceleration? I followed the formula for centripetal acceleration which is
a = v2/r
(1.04)2/.127 = 8.52 m/s which is not the correct answer the correct answer is 8.39. I am using the velocity that I solved for in the first part of (b) which the book says is correct. The radius I calculated by converting inches to meters
10/39.37/2 = .127

Last edited:
BrainMan said:
I wonder why they would call it the radial acceleration instead of the centripetal acceleration?
It's the component that's along the radius. It's perpendicular to the tangential acceleration.

Likes 1 person
BrainMan said:
I wonder why they would call it the radial acceleration instead of the centripetal acceleration?

It basically just means "along the radius" which is a way of saying "towards the center" which is what centripetal means.

It's just terminologyThis time you beat me, Sammy! Hahah

Nathanael said:
It basically just means "along the radius" which is a way of saying "towards the center" which is what centripetal means.

It's just terminology

This time you beat me, Sammy! Hahah

check out my edited post

BrainMan said:
I followed the formula for centripetal acceleration which is
a = v2/r
(1.04)2/.127 = 8.52 m/s which is not the correct answer the correct answer is 8.39. I am using the velocity that I solved for in the first part of (b) which the book says is correct. The radius I calculated by converting inches to meters
10/39.37/2 = .127

Weird. I would say the book made a mistake. I have no idea why it would be 8.39

I used a more specific velocity (1.037) and the answer came out to 8.47 which is a little closer. I don't know why the book says that it's 8.39, I really think it's just a mistake.

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:

I used a more specific velocity (1.037) and the answer came out to 8.47 which is a little closer. I don't know why the book says that it's 8.39, I really think it's just a mistake.

OK cool. Thanks!

Nathanael said:

Just as an additional question if the centripetal force is the force pulling inward to the center what is the force pushing out that keeps it in equilibrium? The only other acceleration is the one tangent to the circle and its not pulling outward.

BrainMan said:
Just as an additional question if the centripetal force is the force pulling inward to the center what is the force pushing out that keeps it in equilibrium? The only other acceleration is the one tangent to the circle and its not pulling outward.

If there was an equal force outward then it would just move in a straight path.

The centripetal force is the required net force to move in a circle.

(Centripetal force is not really a "force" in the sense that gravity is a force, it's just the net force that is required for uniform circular motion. It could be caused by tension, friction, gravity, etc.)

(An example of tension causing it would be spinning an object around on a string. An example of friction causing it would be a car driving in a circle. An example of gravity causing it would be an object orbiting a planet.)

(78/60×2 π)^2×5×2.54 = 847.325...

The book's answer must have some rounding at an intermediate step, or steps

Nathanael said:
If there was an equal force outward then it would just move in a straight path.

The centripetal force is the required net force to move in a circle.

(Centripetal force is not really a "force" in the sense that gravity is a force, it's just the net force that is required for uniform circular motion. It could be caused by tension, friction, gravity, etc.)

(An example of tension causing it would be spinning an object around on a string. An example of friction causing it would be a car driving in a circle. An example of gravity causing it would be an object orbiting a planet.)
Oh I get it now. Thanks!

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for making the object change direction.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the actual acceleration that occurs when an object is moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on the object, but is actually a result of the object's inertia.

4. How does centripetal acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Centripetal acceleration causes an object to constantly change direction, but does not affect its speed (unless there are other forces involved). This results in circular motion or a curved path.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include a car making a turn, a ball spinning on a string, and a satellite orbiting around the Earth.