ANSYS for MEMS (Especially Electrostatic)

In summary: It is possible to do electromagnetic simulation for a mems capacitive switch using ansyshi, but you may face with some problems in working with mems in ANSYS. You could try getting the Multiphysics for MEMS training manual.
jstippey
Does anyone have experience simulating MEMS (especially multi-coupled electrostatic analysis) in ANSYS that would answer a few questions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
yes we do it all the time

I am trying to simulate a 3d comb-drive structure and have had nothing but trouble. I have used their online resources and found a few examples but haven't been able to pull it all together yet. I guess the first question I would ask you is when you are building your model what kind of process do you go through? Do you write 2 physics files (structural and electrostatic) and then solve or is there a better way?

Thank you for your help

i suggest you using direct coupled elements. there are elements with electrostatic and mechanical degrees of freedom. doing so may increase your computation time but its easier for beginners. also i strongly suggest you using ansys description language, it will make life a lot more easier.

for example plane13

Thank you for your help. I have been using APDL to analyze my structures. I hadn't tried using PLANE13 yet, I have been using PLANE223. I had bought the Multiphysics for MEMS training manual and it had said it was an older element with no active development. Thank you for the recommendation, I will give it a try and see if that will help me out a bit.

is it possible to do electromagnetic simulation for a mems capacitive switch using ansys

hi, I am facing with some problems in working with mems in ANSYS. you said that you have got the Multiphysics for MEMS training manual.how could I have the same manual. would you tell me?

jstippey said:
Thank you for your help. I have been using APDL to analyze my structures. I hadn't tried using PLANE13 yet, I have been using PLANE223. I had bought the Multiphysics for MEMS training manual and it had said it was an older element with no active development. Thank you for the recommendation, I will give it a try and see if that will help me out a bit.

1. What is ANSYS for MEMS?

ANSYS for MEMS is a software tool used for simulating and analyzing microelectromechanical systems (MEMS). It is specifically designed for studying the behavior of electrostatic MEMS devices, which use electric fields for actuation and sensing.

2. How does ANSYS for MEMS work?

ANSYS for MEMS uses finite element analysis (FEA) to model and simulate the behavior of MEMS devices. It takes into account the material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions of the device to accurately predict its performance under different operating conditions.

3. What types of MEMS devices can be simulated using ANSYS?

ANSYS for MEMS is capable of simulating a wide range of MEMS devices, including accelerometers, gyroscopes, pressure sensors, microfluidics, and more. It is particularly well-suited for electrostatic devices, such as capacitive sensors and actuators.

4. How accurate are the results from ANSYS for MEMS?

The accuracy of ANSYS for MEMS depends on the quality of the input parameters and assumptions made in the simulation. With proper calibration and validation, it can provide highly accurate results that closely match experimental data.

5. Can ANSYS for MEMS be used for design optimization?

Yes, ANSYS for MEMS has optimization tools that can be used to improve the performance of a MEMS device. By running multiple simulations with different design parameters, it can help identify the optimal design for a given application or performance requirement.