[ANSYS] Meshing based on Keypoints

In summary, the conversation is about using the effective notch method to model a longitudinal weld and creating a fine and specific mesh by generating Keypoints. The goal is to use Mesh200 and Vext to make it 3D and then convert it to Solid186 elements. However, there is difficulty in creating a mesh with the desired nodes using Keypoints and the current solution involves manually creating the mesh and converting it, which can be time-consuming and tedious. The speaker is looking for a more efficient way to create the mesh using Keypoints.
PlanABridge
TL;DR Summary
I need to analyze a welded joint and the method requires a very specific type of mesh. I tried to base it on Keypoints but can't manage it.
I'm analyzing a longitudinal weld using the effective notch method to modell it. This means my mesh must be fine and more importantly very specific. To do this, I generated Keypoints where I want the nodes of the finite element mesh to be and this where I was stumped.

I want to mesh it using Mesh200 elements and the make it 3D with Vext and finally turn it into Solid186 elements. My problem is that I can't seem to create a mesh where the defined Keypoint give me the nodes in the mesh.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The way I've tried to solve this is by manually creating the mesh using Mesh200 elements and then converting it to 3D with Vext. This has worked in some cases, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it since it takes a lot of time and can be very tedious.I'm looking for a way to efficiently create a mesh using Keypoints that will give me the nodes I need in the finite element mesh.

1. What is ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints?

ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints is a feature in the ANSYS software that allows users to create a mesh on a geometry by defining key points on the surface or edges of the geometry. These key points act as reference points for the software to generate a mesh that accurately represents the geometry.

2. How does ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints work?

ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints works by first defining key points on the geometry, either manually or by using an automated method. Then, the software uses these key points as reference points to generate a mesh that conforms to the geometry. This method ensures a more accurate and efficient mesh compared to other methods.

3. What are the benefits of using ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints?

Some of the benefits of using ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints include improved accuracy of the mesh, faster mesh generation, and the ability to easily refine the mesh in specific areas. This method also allows for more control over the meshing process and can result in a higher quality mesh for simulations.

4. Is ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints suitable for all types of geometries?

ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints is suitable for most geometries, including complex and irregular shapes. However, it may not be the most efficient method for very large or highly detailed geometries. In these cases, a combination of different meshing methods may be more suitable.

5. Can ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints be used for both 2D and 3D geometries?

Yes, ANSYS Meshing based on Keypoints can be used for both 2D and 3D geometries. In 2D, key points are defined on the edges of the geometry, while in 3D, key points are defined on the surface of the geometry. The software will automatically adjust the meshing method based on the dimension of the geometry.