Any suggestions for an open source Windows 10 disk encryption app

In summary, the conversation revolved around identifying trustworthy encryption options for protecting a PC's disk volume. The options discussed were LibreCrypt, DiskCryptor, and VeraCrypt. The use of 7-Zip for file compression with encryption was also brought up, but it was noted that this does not encrypt the entire disk volume. Additionally, it was mentioned that SSDs should not be fully loaded more than 80% to avoid impacting their lifetime.
Melbourne Guy
TL;DR Summary
I've an old Windows 10 PC that does not support BitLocker so I am looking for a robust, open source disk encryptor
The summary says it all, really, but in addition, I've done a lot of googling and am finding it hard to identify trustworthy options.

LibreCrypt, DiskCryptor and VeraCrypt are candidates, but I have not used any of these tools so am wary of jumping in and finding that I have bricked my PC.

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
What about file compression with encryption like zip tools? 7zip comes to mind.
I didn't know that 7-Zip could do an entire disk volume, @jedishrfu, I'll check it out, thanks.

No 7-zip can encrypt collections of files into a single zip archive file not the whole volume unless you selected all those files and of course, you'd need free disk space commensurate with the size of the source files and then some.

Also remember SSDs shouldn't be fully loaded more than 80% lest you impact their lifetime. The OS tries to spread write operations around the SSD as files are written to use all parts equally since hammering the same disk cells will lead to disk failure after 10,000 to 35,000 writes or so depending on the technology used.

https://www.techtarget.com/searchst...SSD that stores two,write cycles with 3D NAND.

https://www.ontrack.com/en-us/blog/how-long-do-ssds-really-last

Likes Melbourne Guy

What is an open source Windows 10 disk encryption app?

An open source Windows 10 disk encryption app is a software program that allows users to encrypt their hard drive or specific files on their Windows 10 computer using open source code. This means that the source code is freely available for anyone to view, modify, and distribute.

Why would someone need an open source Windows 10 disk encryption app?

An open source Windows 10 disk encryption app can provide an added layer of security for sensitive data on a computer. It can also protect against data theft in case the computer is lost or stolen. Additionally, using open source software can provide peace of mind, as the code can be audited by anyone to ensure there are no backdoors or vulnerabilities.

Are there any benefits to using an open source Windows 10 disk encryption app over a proprietary one?

Yes, there are several potential benefits to using an open source Windows 10 disk encryption app. These may include increased transparency and trust, as the code can be reviewed and audited by anyone. There may also be a wider range of features and customization options available, as the code can be freely modified and improved by the community.

What are some popular open source Windows 10 disk encryption apps?

Some popular open source Windows 10 disk encryption apps include VeraCrypt, BitLocker, and DiskCryptor. These apps offer a range of features and levels of encryption to choose from, and have been tested and trusted by many users.

Is using an open source Windows 10 disk encryption app difficult?

The difficulty of using an open source Windows 10 disk encryption app may vary depending on the specific app and the user's level of technical knowledge. However, many of these apps have user-friendly interfaces and provide step-by-step instructions for encryption. It is always recommended to thoroughly read and understand the instructions before using any encryption software.