Are there any good engineering textbooks for me to read?

In summary, the conversation discusses the applicability of physics theories in engineering and recommendations for engineering textbooks. The conversation also touches on specific topics such as quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, and calculus. Several free and paid books are suggested, including "The Science of Radio" by Nahin, "Microwave Engineering" by Pozar, and "The Art of Electronics." The conversation ends with a thank you for the helpful information.
athrun200
I am a year 2 physics major student. After spending almost 2 years on only physics theories, I would like to know how those theories can be applied on engineering.

Are there any engineering textbooks suitable for me as an "entertainment" during the break between semesters? Any topics related to engineering are welcome even computer science.

I have learned Quantum mechanics, Classical mechanics and most of the calculus (e.g. Linear Algebra, solving ODEs, and some special PDEs) required in undergraduated level.

Maybe I need some fresh things since keep reading theoretical physics books are quite boring for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering is very broad. Here is a link with a ton of free books for you to look at:

http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=73

It can depend a lot on what you are interested in; I am an electrical engineer so here are some ideas. Under electrical engineering inthe above link, the telecommunications section has, for example, Shannon's book on information theory, and a good book on engineering electromagnetics by Orfanidis (at Rutgers). The signal processing section (still under electrical engineer) has several really good books, including an intro to signal processing, once again by Orfanidis (no, I do not know him, but I like his free books). The statistical signal processing book by Gray and the random processes book by Hajek are also great, but meant for graduate students in EE.

Other books that are not free:

1. One book I really enjoyed is, "the science of radio" by nahin. It is actually a bunch of history and what electrical engineers call "signals and systems" (aka Fourier analysis), along with a little on electronics. It is not free, unfortunately. It doesn't have much physics, though, beyond a basic discussion of how vacuum tubes work. But it makes for nice, reasonably light reading, but has some exercises as well. I would call it gem. For a more traditional book on signals and systems I would recommend the first edition of "linear systems and signals" by Lathi, which can be found for a few dollars (US) on amazon.

2. For a hardcopy of books that have something to do with engineering electromagnetics at he undergrad level, I would recommend used copies of old editions of "microwave engineering" by pozar (I learned from the 1st edition with is really good and cheap).Microwave engineering has to take into account the wave nature of electromagnetic energy; this means that wires in such circuits are not treated as equipotentials. The scattering-matrix approach was developed by physicists during WWII and there are some nice elegant results. I would
also recommned the second edition of "fields and waves in communication electronics" by ramo, whinnery and vanDuzer (an oldie that I really like - but it isn't for everyone!); it has less material on microwave engineering, but does include topics like antennas, and is my favorite undergrate engineering electromagnetics book. You will find it somewhat different that Griffiths (or whatever your physics dept. used for intermediate EM). A good book dedicated to antennas is "antennas and radiowave propagation" by Collin.

3. for circuits I recommend "the art of electronics."

if you are not interested in electrical engineering then please ignore this post!

best of luck,

jason

Thanks jasonRF!
I like EE too but I didn't know where to start. Your information is very useful to me.
I have those books you've mentioned in my university library and I have borrowed them.

Thanks again for your information, it helps me a lot!. :smile:

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing an engineering textbook?

When choosing an engineering textbook, it is important to consider the author's expertise and credibility, the relevance of the content to your specific field of study, the level of difficulty and depth of the material, and the availability of supplemental resources such as practice problems and online resources.

2. Are there any textbooks that cover a wide range of engineering topics?

Yes, there are many engineering textbooks that cover a wide range of topics, such as general engineering principles, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering. It is important to assess your specific needs and choose a textbook that covers the topics relevant to your field of study.

3. How can I find the best deals on engineering textbooks?

You can find good deals on engineering textbooks by comparing prices from multiple retailers, purchasing used or rental copies, or looking for online discounts or promotions. It is also worth checking with your university's library or online databases for access to free or discounted textbooks.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement my engineering textbook?

Yes, many engineering textbooks come with online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and supplementary materials such as videos and lectures. You can also find additional resources online through websites, forums, and study groups dedicated to engineering education.

5. What are some highly recommended engineering textbooks for beginners?

Some highly recommended engineering textbooks for beginners include "Introduction to Engineering" by Paul H. Wright, "Engineering Fundamentals: An Introduction to Engineering" by Saeed Moaveni, and "Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics" by Russell C. Hibbeler. It is also important to consult with your professors or academic advisors for recommended textbooks specific to your field of study.