Area between Curves: Find x=16 Solution

In summary: But the rest is correct.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area between the curves y^2 = x, 2y = x, and x = 16. The solution involves taking integrals with respect to x and solving for the intersecting points. The correct answer is 24.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

[URL]http://images3a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp733%3B%3B%3Enu%3D52%3A%3A%3E379%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D33625%3B9674347nu0mrj[/URL]

Find the area s between the curves:

[tex] y^{2}=x [/tex]

[tex] 2y=x [/tex]

[tex] x=16 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i am rather certain that I have the right area marked in the picture to find. It would be much simpler to find this area with respect to x instead of y so I will solve the equations for y and take the integral from the intersect to x=16.

[tex] y=\pm \sqrt{x}= \pm x^{1/2} [/tex]

the positive side is all we need for this integral though.

[tex] y = \frac {x}{2} [/tex]

and these two functions intersect and x=4. So the integral should be:

[tex] \int_{4}^{16} \frac {x}{2} - x^{1/2} dx [/tex]

[tex] \frac {x^{2}}{4} - \frac {2x^{3/2}}{3} [/tex]

which is the anti-derivative that needs to be evaluated at 16 and 4..

[tex] [64-\frac{128}{3}]-[4-\frac{16}{3}] [/tex]

[tex] [\frac {64}{3}] - [-\frac{4}{3} ] [/tex]

[tex] \frac {68}{3} [/tex]

which is evidently not correct. I have tried this many different ways both with respect to x and y and with other areas as S. Like I stated before I am pretty sure I am trying to find the right area now but I am not having much luck here. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:

Homework Statement

[URL]http://images3a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp733%3B%3B%3Enu%3D52%3A%3A%3E379%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D33625%3B9674347nu0mrj[/URL]

Find the area s between the curves:

[tex] y^{2}=x [/tex]

[tex] 2y=x [/tex]

[tex] x=16 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i am rather certain that I have the right area marked in the picture to find. It would be much simpler to find this area with respect to x instead of y so I will solve the equations for y and take the integral from the intersect to x=16.

[tex] y=\pm \sqrt{x}= \pm x^{1/2} [/tex]

the positive side is all we need for this integral though.

[tex] y = \frac {x}{2} [/tex]

and these two functions intersect and x=4. So the integral should be:

[tex] \int_{4}^{16} \frac {x}{2} - x^{1/2} dx [/tex]

[tex] \frac {x^{2}}{4} - \frac {2x^{3/2}}{3} [/tex]

which is the anti-derivative that needs to be evaluated at 16 and 4..

[tex] [64-\frac{128}{3}]-[4-\frac{16}{3}] [/tex]

[tex] [\frac {64}{3}] - [-\frac{4}{3} ] [/tex]

[tex] \frac {68}{3} [/tex]

which is evidently not correct. I have tried this many different ways both with respect to x and y and with other areas as S. Like I stated before I am pretty sure I am trying to find the right area now but I am not having much luck here. Please help!
The way I read this problem is that there are two regions - the first interval is [0, 4] and the second is [4, 16]. Since there are two regions, and the graphs switch places (i.e., in the first interval (1/2)x <= sqrt(x), and in the second, (1/2)x >= sqrt(x)), you need two integrals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh... ok, thanks very much I needed the integral of:

[tex] \int_{0}^{4} x^{1/2} - \frac {x}{2} dx[/tex]

which when added to the other integral gives me exactly 24.

I am going to post another one right now though that I can only see one possible area on still but can not get.

Scratch the last part, I made mistakes with the calculator.

Related to Area between Curves: Find x=16 Solution

1. What is the main concept behind finding the x=16 solution for the area between curves?

The main concept is to calculate the area between two curves on a graph, where one curve represents the upper boundary and the other represents the lower boundary. The x=16 solution refers to finding the value of x where the two curves intersect at the point x=16.

2. How do you find the x=16 solution for the area between curves?

To find the x=16 solution, you first need to graph the two curves on the same coordinate system. Then, you can use the formula for calculating the area between two curves, which involves taking the integral of the difference between the two curves. Set the integral equal to 16 and solve for x to find the x=16 solution.

3. Can you give an example of finding the x=16 solution for the area between curves?

Sure, for example, if the upper curve is represented by the equation y=x^2 and the lower curve is represented by the equation y=x, we can graph these two curves and find their intersection point at x=16. Then, we can set up the integral ∫(x^2-x)dx = 16 and solve for x to find the x=16 solution.

4. What is the significance of finding the x=16 solution for the area between curves?

Finding the x=16 solution allows us to determine the exact value of x where the two curves intersect and the area between them is equal to 16. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating the volume of a solid formed by rotating the region between the two curves around a certain axis.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the x=16 solution for the area between curves?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the midpoint rule or the trapezoidal rule to approximate the area between curves and find the x=16 solution. These methods involve dividing the region into smaller rectangles or trapezoids and summing their areas to approximate the total area between the curves. However, these methods may not give an exact solution like the integral method does.