Astro Physics Research for Undergrads

In summary: This is where the sun's influence on our planet really manifests itself!To clarify, by research do you mean original research, or something more along the lines of a literature review (à la research paper from English class)?more like a review :)more like a review :)That's good. You might have to work your tail off even to get a review paper put together in that time. You'd probably need two years or more to actually put together a paper with original research. Good luck.
kptsilva
Hey guys,

I'm studying in my final year, physics as an undergraduate student, and we have to complete a research project for the finals. Our course length is 2 months. I'm deeply interested in astro physics and cosmology. Any new topics that i can consider as an research topic?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
i'd like it to be astro related

To clarify, by research do you mean original research, or something more along the lines of a literature review (à la research paper from English class)?

more like a review :)

kptsilva said:
more like a review :)
That's good. You might have to work your tail off even to get a review paper put together in that time. You'd probably need two years or more to actually put together a paper with original research. Good luck.

do you have any ideas?

kptsilva said:
do you have any ideas?
Not really. It took me two years of data-mining to put together a database of apparently-interacting galaxies with LOTS of help from a collaborator in Finland and another in NY state before we could pull a paper together. It was peer-reviewed and published in a Springer journal, but it still took a long time, pulling down info from NASA, Cal-Tech, HyperLeda, etc. Two months is not a lot of time to pull something coherent and publishable. You'll probably have to put together a 1-2 page review, with a heavy emphasis on links to published papers. Good luck.

How about a short paper on the distribution of GRBs? That might be a fun one.

Hmm, I'm not sure regarding GRBs, are there any interesting papers?
I found some papers regarding the unification of dark energy and matter, via chaplygin gas model, but i like something that has more General relativity

Last edited:
While "out there" topics like dark energy, dark matter, and others are very popular, it may help to choose a topic that is more understood. I would guess that the amount of quality papers on something would improve with better understanding.

I don't have time to write a long response right now, but in a word: Inflation.

It's a cute little project and you can go pretty deep into it if you want (I wrote a ~6 page review article on it about a year ago for a cosmology course).

Nabeshin do you have any research papers that i can refer to

The origins of high energy cosmic rays might also be interesting. There are tons of related papers on arxiv.

kptsilva said:
Hey guys,

I'm studying in my final year, physics as an undergraduate student, and we have to complete a research project for the finals. Our course length is 2 months. I'm deeply interested in astro physics and cosmology. Any new topics that i can consider as an research topic?

My pet is neutron stars. Most extreme environment in the visible universe. The popular accounts are not all that great so you will need to glean the results from research papers. You won't be able to understand the math, but that is OK.

That might be too specialized so how about getting insight into analysis of the data from the CMB. That's very basic and solid and very interesting too. I wish I knew more about it so once your paper is done ship it over here, hear?

Inflation is nice but a bit too complex and speculative for me. Not enough data. But if it interests you, go for it.

Another possibility is planetary magnetospheres, which I also will be studying. There's a lot of data coming in and it is a whole new world.

All and all I would stick with the solid and happening areas, which are just as interesting as the glamorous stuff.

kptsilva said:
i'd like it to be astro related

It seems to me that folks tend ignore this fact: the interaction between the sun's particle emissions (the "solar wind") and the Earth's magnetic field are certainly "astro related". The sun is a star. It is far easier to measure and gather actual data locally than in the next-nearest star.

1. What is astro physics research for undergrads?

Astro physics research for undergrads is a field of study that focuses on the application of physics principles to the study of astronomical objects and phenomena. It involves conducting experiments and analyzing data to better understand the physical processes and laws that govern the universe.

2. What are the benefits of participating in astro physics research as an undergraduate student?

Participating in astro physics research as an undergraduate student can provide valuable hands-on experience in scientific methodology and data analysis. It also allows students to work closely with experienced researchers and contribute to ongoing scientific discoveries.

3. How can I get involved in astro physics research as an undergraduate student?

There are several ways to get involved in astro physics research as an undergraduate student. You can apply for research internships or participate in research projects at your university. You can also reach out to professors or researchers in the field and inquire about potential opportunities for undergraduate involvement.

4. What skills do I need to have to participate in astro physics research as an undergraduate student?

To participate in astro physics research as an undergraduate student, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer programming. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for success in this field.

5. Can I publish my research as an undergraduate student?

Yes, it is possible for undergraduate students to publish their research in scientific journals or present their findings at conferences. This can be a valuable experience and can help students gain recognition in the scientific community. However, it may require guidance and support from a mentor or advisor.