Bachelor from non-top-university lowering chances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's concern about the impact of their choice of university on their chances of getting admitted to a top university for their PhD in the future. They mention their preference for studying at a top university in the Czech Republic, but worry it may not be a strong enough foundation for their academic goals. They also mention the success of individuals from lower-ranked universities in their field, but acknowledge the competitive nature of the academic world. Ultimately, they seek advice on whether they should aim for a better university for their bachelor's degree or if their current choice is sufficient.
Tom83B
Hi, I was recently thinking that if I want to get PhD one day, it would be useful, if it was from a very good university. However, I live in Czech Republic and I'm afraid that doing my bachelors degree here (http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/subject-rankings/natural-sciences - 134 - Charles University) (which I would prefer) could ruin me the chance of being admitted to any of the top universities, let's say top 20. Since it's in Europe I can do my bachelors degree here, masters at a better university and hope it helps me.
Do you think that I should aim for a better universtity right away for a bachelors degree or is this fine for my plans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best university in my country is ranked even lower (it is top 500), and people who studied Physics there have gone on to work for NASA or do a PhD at MIT, a guy who studied study computer science went to do his PhD at Carnegie Mellon and then got (assistant) professorship at Stanford etc. From the interviews I've read with those people they've all done a great amount of research and were greatly involved in Physics/CS in general, so you do have to be really good to get in. But it's the same at better universities, the difference perhaps being that it's a dog eat dog world earlier on.

Last edited:
Thanks. This information is really helpful.

Related to Bachelor from non-top-university lowering chances?

1. How much does attending a non-top university affect my chances of getting a job in my field?

Attending a non-top university may lower your chances of getting a job in your field compared to those who attend top universities. However, there are many factors that employers consider when hiring, such as your skills, experience, and personal qualities.

2. Will employers look down on me for not attending a top university?

Some employers may have a preference for candidates from top universities, but this does not mean that they will automatically look down on you for attending a non-top university. Your qualifications, experience, and interview performance are ultimately what will determine their decision.

3. How can I improve my chances of getting a job with a bachelor's degree from a non-top university?

There are several ways to improve your chances, such as gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time jobs, networking, and showcasing your skills and accomplishments in your resume and during interviews. You can also consider pursuing a graduate degree from a top university.

4. Are there any advantages to attending a non-top university?

Attending a non-top university may have its advantages, such as smaller class sizes, more personalized attention from professors, and a closer-knit community. You may also have the opportunity to stand out and take on leadership roles, which can be beneficial for your future career.

5. How important is the university's ranking in terms of job prospects?

While attending a top university may open more doors and opportunities, it is not the only factor that determines job prospects. Your qualifications, skills, and experience are equally important. Employers also value qualities such as determination, adaptability, and a strong work ethic, which can be developed regardless of where you attend university.