Basic calc 3 problems, vectors and planes

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution1) I find that these don't intersect, am I wrong?Yes. I found a point of intersection. Show us what you did, so we can figure out where you went wrong.2) my answer came out to -2x +(-13/2)y + .5z +.5=0, if this is wrong i can show my work...No, that looks correct to me.3) I got 55/(4*sqrt(6))No, that is not correct. Show us what you did.In summary, the lines l1 and l2 do intersect with a point of intersection at x=
shemer77

Homework Statement

1)show that the lines l1 and l2 intersect and find their point of intersection.
l1: x+1=4t y-3=t z-1=0
L2: x+13=12t y-1=6t z-2=3t

2)The plane through the points p1(-2,1,4),p2(1,0,3) that is perpendicular to the plane 4x-y+3z=2

3)Find the distance between the given skew lines
x=3-t y=4+4t z=1+2t
x=t y=3 z=2t

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I find that these don't intersect, am I wrong?
2) my answer came out to -2x +(-13/2)y + .5z +.5=0, if this is wrong i can show my work...
3) I got 55/(4*sqrt(6))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at 1 and 4 only.
shemer77 said:

Homework Statement

2)The plane through the points p1(-2,1,4),p2(1,0,3) that is perpendicular to the plane 4x-y+3z=2

x=3-t y=4+4t z=1+2t
x=t y=3 z=2t

4)Show that the graph of r=t*sin(t) i + t*cos(t) j + t^2 k
lies on the paraboloid of z=x^2 +y^2

Yes. I found a point of intersection. Show us what you did, so we can figure out where you went wrong.
shemer77 said:
2) my answer came out to -2x +(-13/2)y + .5z +.5=0, if this is wrong i can show my work...
3) I got 55/(4*sqrt(6))
4)I set x to t*sin(t), y to t*cos(t) and z to t^2 and then i put it in the equation z=x^2 +y^2 and i got t^2=t^2. Sounds right??
t2 = t2 is not what you want to conclude, since that's obviously and trivially true - any number is always equal to itself. Here's a better way to do it.
The parametric form of the vector equation r(t) = t*sin(t) i + t*cos(t) j + t2 k is:
x = t*sin(t)
y = t*cos(t)
z = t2

From these equations, we have
x2 + y2 = (t*sin(t))2 + (t*cos(t))2
= t2sin2(t) + t2cos2(t)
= t2(sin2(t) + cos2(t))
= t2 * 1
= z
This shows that the graph of the given vector function lies on the paraboloid = x2 + y2.

ah ok thanks, i got 4

For 1, I rewrote it so
L1: x=4t-1 y=T+3 z=1+0T
L2: x=12T-13 y=6T+1 z=3T-2

To solve this i set the to x's equal to each other but i change the x in l2 to the letter k
4t-1=12k-13
t=(12/4)k-(12/4)

I make my second equation
T+3=6k+1 and plug in t so then i get
(12/4)k -(12/4) +3 = 6k+1
solving for k i get -(1/3) and i plug that into my equation for t to get t=-4

Now i have values of k and T and i plug them into my final equation
1+0T =3T-2 and solving that you get 1=3*(-1/3) -2 which comes out to 1=-3 which they obviously don't so they don't intersect

You could probably think about this more clearly if you realize that the two lines are parametric equations. The 't' in the first equation is not necessarily the same as the 't' in the second equation. Rewrite them as:
L1: x+1=4t,y-3=t,z-1=0
L2: x+13=12s,y-1=6s,z-2=3s

Now try and find a value of s and t such that the x, y and z values are equal.

Dick said:
You could probably think about this more clearly if you realize that the two lines are parametric equations. The 't' in the first equation is not necessarily the same as the 't' in the second equation. Rewrite them as:
L1: x+1=4t,y-3=t,z-1=0
L2: x+13=12s,y-1=6s,z-2=3s

Now try and find a value of s and t such that the x, y and z values are equal.

already did that, look at what i did

shemer77 said:
already did that, look at what i did

What you did is more than a little confusing and the conclusion is wrong. Look at the z equations. What must s be?

Dick said:
What you did is more than a little confusing and the conclusion is wrong. Look at the z equations. What must s be?

i did exactly what you said except i used k instead of s.

anyways does s have to be -1/3

shemer77 said:
ah ok thanks, i got 4
If you're talking about your previous work, I don't think so. Concluding that t2 = t2 is silly and probably won't get you credit for the problem, or maybe only partial credit, at best.

shemer77 said:
To solve this i set the to x's equal to each other but i change the x in l2 to the letter k
4t-1=12k-13
t=(12/4)k-(12/4)

shemer77 said:
No, according to what you wrote, you replaced x with k.

And if I remember correctly, I got s = -1/3.

shemer77 said:

anyways does s have to be -1/3

Ok, then s=(-1/3), t=(-4). Doesn't that make x, y and z the same for both systems?

Mark44 said:
If you're talking about your previous work, I don't think so. Concluding that t2 = t2 is silly and probably won't get you credit for the problem, or maybe only partial credit, at best.

no i did something else, i got it though I am sure :)

Ok, then s=(-1/3), t=(-4). Doesn't that make x, y and z the same for both systems?
sorry not sure how you figured that?

shemer77 said:
no i did something else, i got it though I am sure :)

sorry not sure how you figured that?

I thought that was what you had figured out. I looked at the z equation and figured s=(-1/3). Then I look at either of the other two equations and figured t=(-4). Then I checked third equation to make sure it was also true.

Wooowwww, sorry about that I don't know why I was having such a stupid moment, yea i totally get it. thanks for your help! Now i just hope 2 and 3 are right...

edit: i got 3, i just need help with number 2 now, thanks!

Last edited:
shemer77 said:

Homework Statement

So a vector perpendicular to the plane is <4, -1, 3> and must be parallel to any plane that is also perpendicular to the given plane. Another vector in the plane is the vector from p1 to p2, <3, -1, -1>. The cross product of those two vectors is [itex]4\vec{i}+ 13\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex]. Taking (-2, 1, 4) as the "base point", the equation of the plane is 4(x+ 2)+ 13(y- 1)- (z- 4)= 4x+ 13y- z+ 8- 13+ 4= 0 or 4x+ 13y- z= 1.

x=3-t y=4+4t z=1+2t
x=t y=3 z=2t

Well, I would be inclined to multiply through by -2 and move the constant to the other side of the equation!

3) I got 55/(4*sqrt(6))

shemer77 said:
3) I got 55/(4*sqrt(6))

wait are you saying that's the right answer?? because I redid it and rechecked everything twice and i got sqrt(6)

Related to Basic calc 3 problems, vectors and planes

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude.

How do I find the equation of a plane given three points?

First, find two vectors that lie in the plane by subtracting one point from the other two points. Then, use the cross product of those two vectors to find the normal vector of the plane. Finally, plug in one of the given points and the normal vector into the equation of a plane formula: Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the components of the normal vector and D is the dot product of the normal vector and the given point.

What is the dot product and how is it calculated?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the results together.

Can a plane intersect a line at more than one point?

No, a plane and a line can only intersect at one point or not at all. If the plane and line are not parallel, they will intersect at exactly one point. If they are parallel, they will never intersect.

How can I determine if two planes are parallel or perpendicular?

If the normal vectors of the two planes are parallel, then the planes are parallel. If the dot product of the two normal vectors is equal to zero, then the planes are perpendicular.