Basic calc I problem: calculate y''

• Thread starter 94JZA80
  • Start date
In summary, Eric's homework statement is that he is having trouble solving a problem and is unsure if it is because he is making an extremely stupid mistake or he has made an algebra or differentiation error. After explaining what the problem is and solving it himself, he confirms that it is an algebra error that occurred when one of the terms in his numerator was not canceling out with the other terms. After fixing the problem, he is able to find the derivative of 8 and provides a step-by-step solution for anyone who is interested.
94JZA80
This is a simple calc I problem that I'm having trouble solving (most likely b/c I'm making an extremely stupid/simple mistake somewhere).

Homework Statement

Given the equation x2 +6xy + y2 = 8, calculate y''

The answer, according to the text, is y'' = 64/(3x + y)3. However, if you inspect my work below, you'll see that I'm having some trouble arriving at this solution. I've already gone through my work a few times and corrected some silly algebraic errors and omissions. But as you can see, my work still has some errors that I'm unable to find b/c my solution contains a numerator that is more complex than the simple constant "64" that it should be. Specifically, some terms in the numerator aren't completely canceling out, leaving a "-8x" term and a "-2" term in the polynomial that is the numerator...and i don't know if the error is in my algebra or my implicit differentiation. That being said, i can see already that if those specific terms weren't there, the numerator would then be 64(x2 +6xy + y2), which equals 64(8). This "8" in the numerator would then cancel with the "8" in the denominator 8(3x + y)3, leaving the correct answer of y'' = 64/(3x + y)3. again, i don't know if the things that should be canceling out aren't canceling out b/c of an algebra error or a differentiation error. Any help would be appreciated very much.

Homework Equations

see section 3 below...

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1048/scanmed.jpg

...if anyone has questions about what they're looking at, just ask me and i will do my best to elaborate on how i got from one particular step to the next. Also, to the moderators, i am new and this is my first post. i did read the rules at the top of the sub-forum and did my best to follow the requested format. if something doesn't appear legit in my thread, please contact me before deleting it entirely without reason or notice.

TIA,
Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't go through all of it, but despite your best effort I found a little mistake on the first line (sorry!)
What is the derivative of 8?

CompuChip said:
I didn't go through all of it, but despite your best effort I found a little mistake on the first line (sorry!)
What is the derivative of 8?

OMG :redface:...like i suspected, it was probably something really simple and stupid. i feel like a dummy now LOL. thanks for the catch though! i probably would have kept overlooking that error on the assumption that i couldn't have possibly calculated the first derivative incorrectly LOL...i guess i was wrong!

i'm at work now, so i won't get a chance to rework the problem until this evening. but as soon as i do, i'll let you (and anyone else) know if i arrived at the correct answer.

thanks,
Eric

Good luck with that, I hope you get it right then (mostly because I don't look forward to going through all that to find another error on the last line :) )

Cheers

good news...the simple mistake you caught was the one and only error i overlooked. sure enough, taking into account that the derivative of 8 is 0, all the algebra works out accordingly to give the correct answer of y'' = 64/(3x + y)3 :

[PLAIN]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4379/scan0001med.jpg

thanks for the help CompuChip. sometimes you just have to walk away from something in order to clear your mind and look at it again with a fresh set of eyes...either that, or have someone else's fresh set of eyes to look at it for you if you don't have the time/patience :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of calculating y'' in Basic Calc I?

The second derivative, or y'', represents the rate of change of the slope of a function. In Basic Calc I, we use this calculation to understand the concavity or curvature of a function at a specific point.

2. How do you calculate y'' using Basic Calc I?

To calculate y'', you will need to take the derivative of the first derivative, also known as y'. This can be done by using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the specific function.

3. What is the difference between y' and y'' in Basic Calc I?

Y' represents the first derivative, which is the rate of change of a function. Y'' represents the second derivative, which is the rate of change of the slope of a function. Essentially, y'' is the rate of change of y'.

4. How can y'' be used to analyze a function in Basic Calc I?

Y'' can be used to determine the concavity of a function at a specific point. If y'' is positive at a certain point, the function is concave up, and if y'' is negative, the function is concave down. This information can help us understand the behavior of a function and where it has maximum or minimum points.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble calculating y'' in Basic Calc I?

If you are having trouble calculating y'', it may be helpful to review the basic rules of differentiation and practice with different types of functions. You can also seek help from a tutor, classmate, or online resources to better understand the concept and improve your skills.