Basic calculus question (kinematics)

CIn summary, the conversation discusses the proof and reasoning behind the steps involving acceleration and integration. The steps are explained and a possible alternative approach is suggested.
tolove
Could someone point me to the proof or reasoning behind the steps:

1) a = dv/dt
2) a dt = dv
3) ∫a dt = ∫dv

I know this works, but I'm missing understanding in the math behind it, and I'm not sure what to type into google.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
1) is the definition of acceleration, i.e, the derivative of velocity with respect to time.
2)+3) are silly pseudo-steps, the mathematically CORRECT next step from 1) is:
2a) [tex]\int{a}dt=\int\frac{dv}{dt}dt[/tex]
3a) Now, using integration by substitution on the right-hand integral, we may, if we like, rewrite 2a) as:
[tex]\int{a}dt=\int{dv}[/tex]

Related to Basic calculus question (kinematics)

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of classical mechanics that describes the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance from the starting point to the end point of an object's motion.

How does velocity differ from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position, including direction. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes the rate of change of an object's position.

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How is calculus used in kinematics?

Calculus is used in kinematics to analyze the motion of objects by calculating derivatives and integrals of position, velocity, and acceleration functions. This allows for a more precise and detailed understanding of an object's motion.