Battery Power draining even when PC is Off?

In summary, the speaker is experiencing issues with their laptop battery draining after shutting down their computer. They have tried various methods to troubleshoot the issue, including removing the battery and checking event logs, but have not found a solution. They also mention a potential issue with the lid closing before the shutdown process is complete. They are seeking advice and suggest using the scientific method to find a solution.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
I am just clueless about this. I turned my computer off with the battery at 100% ( I was using power cord
with outlet). I disconnected from the server at the coffee shop, went to " Shut Down" on Windows icon menu, turned machne off. This morning I turn my PC on and the battery is at around 2%. I've had this happen ( at different levels) a few times. What is going on?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It can be like sleep sate not shutdown. This was implemented in windows 8.

Can you remove the battery? Isolate the variables. Shut it down with the battery fully charged, then remove the battery. Leave it over night. Put the battery back in and turn it on. Did it drain again? If so, then it's the battery and needs to be replaced. If not, then Windows prevented shutting down for some reason and you can check your event logger for why. If you still can't figure it out, dual boot Linux, then shut down from Linux. If it still drains, then it wasn't windows, it was your computer itself. Something is shorting out.

Likes ISamson and WWGD
Gandes said:
It can be like sleep sate not shutdown. This was implemented in windows 8.
The new state in Windows 8 was kernel hibernation, but the system still fully powers off. My guess is you closed the lid before it completed the shutdown process, and was in a standard sleep state.

Likes WWGD
stoomart said:
The new state in Windows 8 was kernel hibernation, but the system still fully powers off. My guess is you closed the lid before it completed the shutdown process, and was in a standard sleep state.
Good point. I remember seeing some lights inside after shutting down the machine.

Likes stoomart
newjerseyrunner said:
Can you remove the battery? Isolate the variables. Shut it down with the battery fully charged, then remove the battery. Leave it over night. Put the battery back in and turn it on. Did it drain again? If so, then it's the battery and needs to be replaced. If not, then Windows prevented shutting down for some reason and you can check your event logger for why. If you still can't figure it out, dual boot Linux, then shut down from Linux. If it still drains, then it wasn't windows, it was your computer itself. Something is shorting out.

Good idea, scientific method, except too much going on; trying to see if someone already did it and get it out of the way, use scientific method when I have more time.

Likes newjerseyrunner
stoomart said:
My guess is you closed the lid before it completed the shutdown process, and was in a standard sleep state.

I had a problem like this once. Pressing the power button would send it into hibernate. If you immediately closed the lid the computer would sleep in the middle of the hibernate and just run full power until you opened it up again. Then it would actually finish the hibernate.

BoB

Likes WWGD

1. Why does my battery power drain even when my PC is turned off?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One common cause is that some devices, such as USB peripherals or network adapters, may still be drawing power from the battery even when the PC is off. Another possibility is that your PC's power settings are not properly configured, leading to unnecessary battery drainage. Additionally, a faulty battery or charging system could also contribute to this issue.

2. Will leaving my laptop plugged in all the time drain the battery?

No, leaving your laptop plugged in will not drain the battery. Most modern laptops have a built-in mechanism that stops charging the battery once it reaches full capacity. However, it is recommended to occasionally use the battery and let it drain to maintain its health.

3. Can a virus drain my laptop's battery even when it is turned off?

It is highly unlikely for a virus to cause battery drainage when your laptop is turned off. Viruses can only run when your computer is on, so they cannot affect your battery when it is turned off. If you are experiencing rapid battery drainage, it is more likely due to a hardware or software issue.

4. How can I prevent my laptop's battery from draining when it is turned off?

You can try the following steps to prevent battery drainage when your laptop is turned off:

• Make sure all devices and peripherals are disconnected from your laptop before turning it off.
  • Check your power settings and adjust them to optimize battery life.
  • Update your laptop's BIOS and drivers.
  • If the issue persists, consider getting your battery and charging system checked by a professional.

5. Is it normal for my laptop's battery to drain a little when it is turned off?

Yes, it is normal for a small amount of battery to drain when your laptop is turned off. This is because some components, such as the clock and basic system functions, still require a small amount of power to function even when the laptop is off. However, if you notice a significant amount of battery drainage, it is worth investigating for any potential issues.