Best degree to go into systems engineering?

In summary, the speaker is an engineering student at McMaster University who wants to pursue a career in systems engineering, but their school does not offer it as a major. They are considering taking mechatronics classes as a substitute, but they have heard that it may be too broad of a degree and make it difficult to find a job. They are wondering if it would be better to study electrical engineering instead, even though the program only has a few courses in systems engineering. They are open to the idea of going to graduate school to learn more about the subject. They are seeking advice and are interested in others' opinions on the matter.
geralt
I am an engineering student at McMaster University who is interested in going into systems engineering. Unfortunately, our school does not offer this as a major. However, the mechatronics curriculum has a lot of systems classes in it, so I was thinking of taking that. The problem is, I've heard mechatronics is too broad of a degree and that no employers know what it is, so finding a job can be difficult.

Because of this, would it be better to go into electrical engineering if i wanted to work in systems engineering? The program only has you take a couple courses in this subject, but I suppose I could always go to graduate school to learn more. Thanks for any advice! Have a good day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I'm interested too

1. What is systems engineering?

Systems engineering is an interdisciplinary field that focuses on designing, implementing, and managing complex systems over their entire life cycles. It involves integrating different components and subsystems to create a functioning system that meets the desired requirements.

2. What are the job prospects for systems engineering graduates?

The job prospects for systems engineering graduates are very promising. This field is in high demand in industries such as aerospace, defense, automotive, and healthcare. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of systems engineers is projected to grow 6% from 2018 to 2028, which is faster than the average for all occupations.

3. What skills do I need to excel in systems engineering?

To excel in systems engineering, you will need a combination of technical and soft skills. Technical skills include systems thinking, problem-solving, and proficiency in various tools and technologies. Soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and project management are also essential for success in this field.

4. Is a degree in systems engineering necessary for a career in this field?

While a degree in systems engineering is not always necessary, it can greatly benefit your career in this field. A degree provides you with the technical knowledge and skills needed to excel in systems engineering and can also make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities.

5. What other degrees can lead to a career in systems engineering?

Apart from a degree in systems engineering, other degrees that can lead to a career in this field include computer science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and industrial engineering. These degrees provide a strong foundation in the technical skills needed for systems engineering, and you can also specialize in systems engineering through graduate programs or certifications.