Biomedical Engineering: Biohacking

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between biomedical engineering and biohacking, a term that refers to illegal genetic engineering. While there is some overlap, biohacking is considered a more specialized and potentially illegal aspect of genetic engineering.
José Ricardo
If I followed this area, I would deal with biohacking? Every biomedical engineer knows how to move with biohacking? And Biohacking is the sub-area that is increasing mostly in the healthcare system?

Biomedical engineering → https://collegegrad.com/careers/biomedical-engineers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A link or two would help to clarify your question, IMO...

Likes José Ricardo
Thanks, Berkeman.

I read this article but is not even implicit if a biomedical engineer knows how to move with this biohacking. I don't know.

He is biochemical. But I don't know if a biomedical engineer move with Biohacking.

Defining biohacking: It's basically modifying your genes through a especial syringe, like that it's shown on the report.

José Ricardo said:
He is biochemical. But I don't know if a biomedical engineer move with Biohacking.

Defining biohacking: It's basically modifying your genes through a especial syringe, like that it's shown on the report.
According to the link, "biohacking" is a nickname given to illegal genetic engineering.

But in any case, I think genetic engineering is separate or more specialized than biomedical engineering.

Likes José Ricardo and berkeman
Ahhh... I didn't even know that the biohacking is illegal. So, this has to do with genetic engineering?

What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field of study that combines the principles of engineering and medicine to develop solutions and technologies for healthcare. This includes designing, developing, and testing medical equipment, devices, and procedures.

What is biohacking?

Biohacking is the practice of using biology, technology, or a combination of both to enhance or modify the human body for health, performance, or other purposes. It can involve activities such as tracking and analyzing biological data, experimenting with supplements or diets, or using technology to augment the body's abilities.

How are biomedical engineering and biohacking related?

Biomedical engineering can be seen as a more formal and regulated form of biohacking. While biohackers may experiment on their own bodies, biomedical engineers use their expertise and knowledge to develop safe and effective technologies and procedures for medical use.

What are some examples of biohacking in biomedical engineering?

Some examples of biohacking in biomedical engineering include the development of prosthetics, genetic engineering for medical purposes, and the use of technology to enhance medical imaging or drug delivery. Other examples include the use of wearables and sensors to track and monitor health and the development of new medical treatments and therapies using technology.

What are the potential benefits and risks of biohacking in biomedical engineering?

The potential benefits of biohacking in biomedical engineering include improved healthcare outcomes, increased accessibility to medical treatments, and advancements in medical technology. However, there are also potential risks, such as ethical concerns, safety issues, and the potential for misuse or abuse of technology. It is important for biomedical engineers to consider these factors and prioritize the well-being of patients and the public when developing biohacking technologies.