Books on Celestial bodies for a beginner

In summary, There are a few books that may be helpful for a student interested in Astrophysics, such as the Openstax Astronomy textbook, the DK book Universe, and 'Physics and chemistry of the solar system' by John S. Lewis. This book provides a comprehensive overview of a wide range of topics related to the composition and formation of celestial bodies, with plenty of illustrations and explanations that are understandable for A-levels students. However, it may not be the best choice for casual reading and can be found at a lower price as a withdrawn ex-library copy on Abe Books.
fear of the sky
Hi, I am an Alevel science student and looking forward to study Astrophysics in university.
Can someone recommend books that are more like fact books with descriptions of celestial bodies, their composition, formations and etc.
Like more like an encyclopedia than a book .

Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoyed 'Physics and chemistry of the solar system' by John S. Lewis.
It provides a quick overview of a wide range of topics - predominantly focused on how the bodies in the solar system are built (and why), rather than on celestial dynamics - without going in too much detail about any single topic.
It is very verbose, with lots of graphs, figures and photographs. Equations are provided as illustrations of physical relationships, without derivations (there might be some in the appendices - I don't recollect), and should be understandable by an A-levels student. One can also just skim over them without losing the gist of a section.

Probably not the best choice for casual reading in a park, though. It's a venerable brick of a book.

Amazon let's you see the table of contents, although you won't get to see much of the main text:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0124467415/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You may want to look it up on Google Books, which should let you take a glimpse of a few pages from the middle parts, to ascertain if it's what you're looking for.

Withdrawn ex-library copies can be found on Abe Books for around 10-ish GBP with postage.

Likes fear of the sky

1. What is the best book for beginners on celestial bodies?

The best book for beginners on celestial bodies is "Astronomy for Dummies" by Stephen P. Maran. It provides a comprehensive overview of celestial bodies and their characteristics in an easy-to-understand language.

2. How do I choose the right book on celestial bodies for my level of understanding?

The best way to choose the right book for your level of understanding is to read reviews and ratings from other readers. Look for books that are recommended for beginners or have a clear and simple writing style.

3. Are there any books that focus specifically on a certain celestial body?

Yes, there are many books that focus on a specific celestial body, such as "The Planets" by Dava Sobel, which delves into the history and science behind each planet in our solar system.

4. Are there any interactive books on celestial bodies for beginners?

Yes, there are several interactive books available for beginners, such as "The Universe: A Visual Guide" by DK Publishing, which includes interactive features and illustrations to enhance the learning experience.

5. Can I find free or affordable books on celestial bodies for beginners?

Yes, there are many free or affordable options for books on celestial bodies for beginners. You can check with your local library or search for e-books and online resources. Some popular options include "Backyard Astronomy" by Terence Dickinson and "The Stars: A New Way to See Them" by H.A. Rey.