Bouncing ball investigation

In summary: Wrong. Actually, the graph goes up until the point where the drop height equals the ball's height. After that, it goes back down to (0,0). The point (0,0) is included in the graph to make it easier to see how the graph changes with different drop heights.
TheRedDevil18
Hi, I just need some help with 3 questions that is asked in my rubric for this investigation. I have already done the experiment to investigate the relationship between the height from which a ball is dropped and the height of the resulting bounce

Homework Statement

1) Draw a graph of average bounce height versus drop height.
These 3 questions I am unsure about

2) Should (0,0) be included as a co-ordinate? Explain.
3) Should the line pass through (0,0)? Explain.
4) How does the gradient of the graph compare to the ratio of bounce height to drop height 110 cm and 55 cm respectively. This is called extrapolation. Clearly show on the graph how you obtained these values.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Done, got a straight line graph
2) Unsure, I would say no because the ball cannot be dropped from 0 height
3) Unsure, I would also say no
4) My gradient worked out to be 0.49 and the ratio 55/110 gives me 0.5 so I would say they are the same. To show it on my graph I would just extend the line?

Physics news on Phys.org
true, the ball cannot be dropped from 0 height. But maybe you can interpret it as meaning that the ball is not dropped. So when the ball is not dropped, how high does it bounce? It may be a silly thing to take note of, but I think the point is that for 2) you can choose whether to include this result or not. You just need to give an explanation of your choice.

And for 4) yes, that's right, extrapolation pretty much just means to extend the line, and see how close it comes to the point (55,110) (or (110,55) depending on which way round you are drawing your graph).

If it is not dropped, you mean it is thrown then why do they give (0,0) as the co-ordinates, it should bounce to a certain height, really confused

On your graph, let the x-axis be the drop height and the y-axis be the bounce height. The bounce height is the dependent variable because the bounce height depends on the drop height, the independent variable. So, as you drop from various heights, wouldn't you think the graph should go through (0,0)? If you dropped a ball from a height of 0 then the bounce should be 0 right?

Hello,

I am glad to hear that you have completed your bouncing ball investigation and have drawn a graph to represent your results. I am happy to help you with the three questions that you are unsure about.

1) It is good that you have already drawn a graph of average bounce height versus drop height. This will help you to visualize the relationship between the two variables.

2) For the first question, you are correct in saying that (0,0) should not be included as a coordinate. This is because the ball cannot be dropped from a height of 0 cm, as there would be no bounce height. Including (0,0) as a coordinate would not accurately represent the data and could skew your results.

3) Similarly, the line on the graph should not pass through (0,0). This is because, as mentioned before, the ball cannot be dropped from a height of 0 cm. The line should start at the first data point, which would be the first drop height and its corresponding bounce height.

4) It is great that you have compared the gradient of the graph to the ratio of bounce height to drop height. Your calculations are correct, and it is interesting to see that they are very close. To show this on your graph, you can extend the line you have drawn to the x-axis and label the point as (110,55). This will represent the ratio of bounce height to drop height and show how it relates to the gradient of your line.

I hope this helps to clarify any confusion you had about these questions. Keep up the good work with your investigation! Let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional help.

Best,
(Scientist)

1. How does the height of a bounce affect the bounce of a ball?

The height of a bounce is directly related to the potential energy of the ball. When a ball is dropped, it gains potential energy from the height at which it was dropped. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the ball bounces back up. The higher the initial drop, the more potential energy the ball has and the higher it will bounce.

2. What factors can affect the bounce of a ball?

The bounce of a ball can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface it bounces on, the material and elasticity of the ball, and the force with which it is dropped or thrown. Air pressure and temperature can also play a role in the bounce of a ball.

3. How does the surface of a ball affect its bounce?

The surface of a ball can greatly impact its bounce. A smooth, hard surface will allow for a higher bounce than a rough, soft surface. This is because a smoother surface creates less friction, allowing the ball to maintain more of its energy during the bounce.

4. What is the relationship between the mass of a ball and its bounce?

The mass of a ball does not have a significant effect on its bounce. As long as the ball is made of the same material and has the same elasticity, the mass will not affect its energy transfer during a bounce. However, a heavier ball may appear to bounce less because it requires more force to lift it off the ground.

5. How can we measure the bounce of a ball?

The bounce of a ball can be measured by dropping the ball from a specific height and recording the height of its bounce. This can be repeated multiple times to calculate an average bounce height. Another method is to use a force plate or accelerometer to measure the force and acceleration of the ball during a bounce, which can then be used to calculate its bounce height.