Box with two support braces

In summary, the problem involves finding the force in each of the support braces to hold up a 100 kg box attached to a wall at 27 and 65 degree angles. The relevant variables are T1 and T2 for the support braces and Fg for gravitational force. The equations used are F=ma and trigonometric equations. The attempt at a solution involved setting up equilibrium equations, but encountered difficulties due to incorrect setup and missing unknowns. It is suggested to use symbolic notation and include all unknowns in the equations for a better understanding.
John Muller

Homework Statement

A 100 kg box is to be held up by two support braces attached to a wall. One of the support braces makes a 27 degree angle with the wall and the other brace makes a 65 degree angle with the wall. Find the force in each of the support braces that will hold the box up.

Variables:
Possibly T1 and T2 for the support braces, Fg for gravitational force

Homework Equations

F=ma
Trig equations
Fg=M*9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to set it up like most of the other equilibrium problems I have, but I ran into a few problems while doing it. Wehn setting up Fnet of the Y values to 0, I do not think I had the right set up. I have F1*cos(65)+((9.8*100)/sin63) -9.8*100=0 I kept on getting a negative for F1 and this did not make sense to me. I can only assume this is happening because I set it up wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off let’s do this symbolically. Instead of 9.8 m/s2 let’s say g and m instead of 100 kg.

Second, I have no idea where you are getting that second term in your T1 equation. Remember, you have two unknowns, T1 and T2, so you need two equations. Set up your equilibrium equations and then we’ll go from there.

Also, if possible, to make things easier to understand, can you either use LaTeX or our subscript feature on PF? (it is on the blue panel right above where you write a post)

John Muller said:
F1*cos(65)+((9.8*100)/sin63) -9.8*100=0
Why is there no F2 in this equation?

What is a "Box with two support braces"?

A "Box with two support braces" is a type of container that has two additional structures, called braces, attached to the sides of the box. These braces provide extra support and stability to the box, making it stronger and able to hold heavier objects.

What is the purpose of the two support braces?

The purpose of the two support braces is to provide additional support and stability to the box. This allows the box to hold heavier objects without collapsing or breaking.

What materials are typically used to make a box with two support braces?

A box with two support braces can be made from a variety of materials such as cardboard, plastic, wood, or metal. The choice of material depends on the intended use and the weight of the objects the box will hold.

What are some common uses for a box with two support braces?

A box with two support braces is commonly used for packaging and shipping heavy items, storing and organizing items in a warehouse or storage facility, or for moving items during a relocation. It can also be used for personal storage or as a display box for retail products.

Are there any limitations to using a box with two support braces?

While a box with two support braces provides extra strength and stability, it does have limitations. It may not be suitable for extremely heavy objects or objects with sharp edges that can puncture the box. It is also important to distribute the weight of the objects evenly to prevent the box from collapsing or breaking.