Desai Yield Surface, Parameters

In summary, the Desai yield surface is a mathematical representation used in plasticity and mechanics of materials to predict the onset of plastic deformation. The parameters used in the Desai yield surface vary depending on the material being studied and are determined through experimental testing. It is determined through yield surface mapping and is significant in materials science as it allows for the prediction of plastic deformation and aids in engineering and design. However, there are limitations to the model, including assuming isotropy and reliance on empirical data.
sandon
Hey guys,

Desai Yield Surface:
Capture.JPG

I have a hard time understanding the parameters of the model for soils. If I have three principle stresses, σ1, σ2, σ3. And R is defined as the Tri-axial strength in tension, how would I define R.

Lastly can I just say that
I1 = σ123
J2= 1/6 * ((σ12)2 +(σ23)2+(σ31)2)

Engineering news on Phys.org
R= I1 + √(2J2)Thanks!Yes, that is correct. R is the tri-axial strength in tension, which is calculated by adding the three principal stresses together and then taking the square root of twice the J2 parameter.

What is the Desai yield surface?

The Desai yield surface is a mathematical representation of the yield behavior of a material under different loading conditions. It is used in the field of plasticity and mechanics of materials to predict the onset of plastic deformation in a material.

What are the parameters used in the Desai yield surface?

The parameters used in the Desai yield surface depend on the type of material being studied. They can include factors such as the yield strength, hardening modulus, and strain hardening coefficient. These parameters are determined through experimental testing and can vary for different materials.

How is the Desai yield surface determined?

The Desai yield surface is determined through a process called yield surface mapping. This involves conducting a series of experiments on a material under different loading conditions and plotting the results on a graph. The shape of the resulting curve is then used to fit a mathematical model, which represents the Desai yield surface.

What is the significance of the Desai yield surface in materials science?

The Desai yield surface is significant in materials science because it allows for the prediction of plastic deformation in a material. This information is crucial for designing and engineering structures that can withstand different types of loading, such as tension, compression, and shear. By understanding a material's yield behavior, engineers can ensure the safety and reliability of their designs.

Are there limitations to the Desai yield surface model?

Yes, there are limitations to the Desai yield surface model. It assumes that the material being studied is isotropic, meaning its properties are the same in all directions. This may not always be the case in real-world materials, which can have anisotropic properties. Additionally, the Desai yield surface model is based on empirical data and may not accurately predict the behavior of a material under extreme conditions or in complex loading scenarios.