BS in Applied Physics/Masters in Nuclear Engineering?

In summary: Just make sure you speak to professors and get their recommendations. And finally, don't forget to research the admissions process! It's a pretty competitive field, so make sure you have a great application and demonstration of your skills. In summary, This person is a sophomore applied physics major at Columbia Engineering and is interested in becoming a nuclear engineer. They have taken classes related to the field and are minoring in computer science. They are also considering getting a graduate degree in nuclear engineering. If they pursue a graduate degree, they may have to take classes that are not covered in a physics major at Columbia. Nuclear engineering is a very broad field and requires knowledge in thermodynamics,
cdstephens
I'm a sophomore applied physics major at Columbia Engineering, and have recently thought about going into nuclear engineering as a career. I'm extremely interested in physics and am pretty sure that it's a pretty hot industry since many people working in nuclear engineering are entering retirement age soon.

Unfortunately, there is no nuclear engineering program at Columbia, but I would take classes perhaps relevant to the field such as plasma physics and nuclear science. I'd also be taking solid state, physics of fluids, electrodynamics, quantum, and the like as well (and maybe some optics and lasers courses). I'm also minoring in computer science for fun.

My plan to enter nuclear engineering would be to get a graduate degree (either a master's or an engineer's degree) in nuclear engineering, though I am unsure if my major in applied physics would prepare me for such a program, as I've heard that the field uses mechanical engineering principles. Also what concerns me is how having a graduate degree affects the chances of getting entry level positions, as many of my older friends have expressed concerns that getting too high of a degree without work experience can often close some doors (PhDs).

If it helps, I'll likely have an above average GPA if I keep my current work up, and hope to get research experience over the next few years (right now I'm working under a materials science professor on nanoparticles). As for what an applied physics degree actually is, it's essentially the same as a pure physics degree at Columbia, with less humanities courses (a physics major is in the college, not the engineering school). Also, a pure physics major would take classes in particle physics, cosmology, general relativity, and the like while an applied physics would take plasma physics, nuclear science, optics, lasers, etc. (Although this seems self explanatory, a lot of people I talk to are confused as to what an applied physics degree actually entails).

Thanks for any help or advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
cdstephens said:
I'm a sophomore applied physics major at Columbia Engineering, and have recently thought about going into nuclear engineering as a career. I'm extremely interested in physics and am pretty sure that it's a pretty hot industry since many people working in nuclear engineering are entering retirement age soon.

Unfortunately, there is no nuclear engineering program at Columbia, but I would take classes perhaps relevant to the field such as plasma physics and nuclear science. I'd also be taking solid state, physics of fluids, electrodynamics, quantum, and the like as well (and maybe some optics and lasers courses). I'm also minoring in computer science for fun.

My plan to enter nuclear engineering would be to get a graduate degree (either a master's or an engineer's degree) in nuclear engineering, though I am unsure if my major in applied physics would prepare me for such a program, as I've heard that the field uses mechanical engineering principles. Also what concerns me is how having a graduate degree affects the chances of getting entry level positions, as many of my older friends have expressed concerns that getting too high of a degree without work experience can often close some doors (PhDs).

If it helps, I'll likely have an above average GPA if I keep my current work up, and hope to get research experience over the next few years (right now I'm working under a materials science professor on nanoparticles). As for what an applied physics degree actually is, it's essentially the same as a pure physics degree at Columbia, with less humanities courses (a physics major is in the college, not the engineering school). Also, a pure physics major would take classes in particle physics, cosmology, general relativity, and the like while an applied physics would take plasma physics, nuclear science, optics, lasers, etc. (Although this seems self explanatory, a lot of people I talk to are confused as to what an applied physics degree actually entails).

Thanks for any help or advice!

First off, talk to Astronuc (one of the mods on here with experience in the nuclear field). Secondly, a know a few professors and grad students in the nuclear engineering department at my university that got physics B.S. degrees then went on to nuclear for grad school...so its certainly possible. I myself was considering a double major in physics and nuke at one time, but then realized I preferred theory to applied topics.

Nuclear engineering as I am sure you know is a pretty broad field, so I can't give you the best advice on what courses to take (but Astronuc probably can). I know that a lot of reactor concepts involve heat transfer and fluid mechanics, though, so I think those might be good courses to take. I think in general if you feel versed in thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, basic nuclear physics, partial differential equations, and computer programming then you should have a good base for entering a graduate program. Best of luck

cdstephens said:
I'm extremely interested in physics and am pretty sure that it's a pretty hot industry since many people working in nuclear engineering are entering retirement age soon.

I wonder where you get this info from? I ask because this seems to be a claim that is made about many fields. Check out this thread about it: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=672379

Maybe its true for engineering, I have no idea. If you have a specific place you this from it would be interesting to see.

1. What is the difference between a BS in Applied Physics and a Masters in Nuclear Engineering?

A BS in Applied Physics is a four-year undergraduate degree that focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, with an emphasis on practical applications. On the other hand, a Masters in Nuclear Engineering is a graduate degree that delves deeper into the study of nuclear energy, radiation, and their applications in various fields such as power generation, medicine, and research.

2. What career opportunities are available with a BS in Applied Physics/Masters in Nuclear Engineering?

Graduates with a BS in Applied Physics can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including research, technology, and engineering. They can also work in fields such as energy, aerospace, and defense. With a Masters in Nuclear Engineering, graduates can work in the nuclear power industry, research and development, or in regulatory agencies.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area within the field of nuclear engineering?

Yes, most Masters in Nuclear Engineering programs offer the opportunity for students to specialize in a specific area, such as nuclear reactor design, nuclear materials, or radiation protection. This allows students to focus on their particular interests and develop specialized skills within the field.

4. What skills and knowledge will I gain from pursuing a BS in Applied Physics/Masters in Nuclear Engineering?

Through a BS in Applied Physics, students will develop a strong foundation in physics principles, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. A Masters in Nuclear Engineering program will provide students with a deep understanding of nuclear energy and radiation, as well as technical and practical skills in areas such as nuclear reactor operation and design, radiation safety, and nuclear waste management.

5. What are the admissions requirements for a BS in Applied Physics/Masters in Nuclear Engineering program?

The specific admissions requirements may vary by institution, but in general, most programs will require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics and science, including courses in physics, chemistry, and calculus. A high GPA and strong letters of recommendation are also important factors in the admissions process. Some programs may also require applicants to have relevant work or research experience in the field.