Building a logical gate function with NAND gates only

In summary, the conversation discusses building a circuit from NAND gates and whether each NAND gate should have exactly 2 inputs. They also discuss the correct way to represent a NAND gate and the different methods for constructing a circuit. The conversation ends with the successful implementation of the circuit and praise for the clear explanation and solution.
Physics news on Phys.org
No exaggeration. :smile:
Building a circuit from NAND gates does require a lot of gates.But shouldn't each NAND gate have exactly 2 inputs?
Like this:
120px-NAND_ANSI_Labelled.svg.png

And you appear to have drawn a thin rectangle before each NAND gate.
What does that represent?

Did you perhaps intend something like:
120px-NOT_from_NAND.svg.png

Since this is the way to construct a NOT gate from a NAND gate.

Last edited:
Let's zoom in on the second sets of inputs for a minute:

attachment.php?attachmentid=43808&stc=1&d=1329049299.jpg

The first NAND gate has the output ##\overline{AD}##.

And the second NAND gate has the output ##\overline{\overline{AD} C} = AD + \overline{C}##.Is that what you intended?
Or did you really want ##A\overline{C}D=AD\overline{C}##?

Attachments

• nandgates1.jpg
    nandgates1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 4,106
I like Serena said:
No exaggeration. :smile:

But shouldn't each NAND gate have exactly 2 inputs?
Like this:
120px-NAND_ANSI_Labelled.svg.png

3 input NAND Gates are allowed and often used. Unless the question specified using 2-input gates, but it doesn't appear so.

Yes, Quabache is right we're allowed to use 3 inputs, though 1 input probably not...

And you appear to have drawn a thin rectangle before each NAND gate.
What does that represent?

You're right-- I'm not sure where I've seen it, but I can see that you're right (as per usual), that's not the sign for a NAND gate.

Is that what you intended?
I intended to try and get the answer for the question but if there's a + C then I made a mistake it appears. What I really wanted is what you wrote at the end of that post. Is it all about just trying to build it via experience or is it about building a truth table and doing it methodically and schematically in a straightforward fashion?

Femme_physics said:
I intended to try and get the answer for the question but if there's a + C then I made a mistake it appears. What I really wanted is what you wrote at the end of that post. Is it all about just trying to build it via experience or is it about building a truth table and doing it methodically and schematically in a straightforward fashion?

Whatever works for you.
Systematic and methodical is good. :)On the wiki page for NAND logic, they give a couple of building blocks to create the various logic operations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAND_logic
With it you can build up your schematic.
Myself I like to work backward as follows.

You know you want to end up with ##AD\overline{C}##.
Last thing in a NAND gate is the NOT.
So before the NOT, you want to have ##\overline{AD\overline{C}}=\overline{AD} + C##.
But you can't make an OR directly from an NAND gate, so first you would use a NAND as a NOT gate.

Working backward you would have the 3 inputs ##A##, ##D##, and ##\overline{C}## for a first NAND gate, followed by the NOT construction.

You're left with only constructing ##\overline{C}## and I think you already know how. ;)

Last edited:
Whatever works for you.
Systematic and methodical is good. :)

But that's the question. Is there another method, or is this all about trial and error?

On the wiki page for NAND logic, they give a couple of building blocks to create the various logic operations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAND_logic
With it you can build up your schematic.

Yes, thanks, I've used a similar page trying to do this :) I'll give it another go

I have the impression you were following a proper method.
Verifying your result showed a little mistake however. ;)
I'm sure you'll get it.

Look at what happens if you factor the ##A\overline B C## out of the last two terms before you draw the circuit.

There is a lot of redundancy here. The expression can be simplified before you start to implement it using gates. LCKurtz gave you a hint, which raises the question in my mind: are you certain that you have correctly reproduced the expression that you are realizing with gates?

Method looks right.

Femme_physics said:
I understand what you mean-- and I think I got it

Very good! You got it!
And very creative to put a double bar over it and break it up! :smile:
I also like how clearly you explained what you did and how you showed a nice simple solution.

This time around there appear to be no beetles scurrying away. ;)

Last edited:
LOL

Thanks for the help ILS, everyon. Glad I got it right.

Related to Building a logical gate function with NAND gates only

1. What is a logical gate function?

A logical gate function is a basic building block of digital circuits that performs a specific logical operation on one or more binary inputs and produces a single binary output.

2. What is a NAND gate?

A NAND gate is a type of logical gate that produces an output of 0 only when all of its inputs are 1. It is a combination of an AND gate and a NOT gate.

3. Why use only NAND gates to build a logical gate function?

NAND gates are considered universal gates, which means that all other logical gate functions can be built using only NAND gates. This simplifies the design process and reduces the number of components needed.

4. How can a logical gate function be built using only NAND gates?

To build a logical gate function using only NAND gates, the inputs can be connected to the inputs of multiple NAND gates, and the outputs of those NAND gates can be connected to the inputs of a final NAND gate. The output of this final NAND gate will be the desired output of the logical gate function.

5. What are the advantages of using NAND gates in logical gate functions?

Using only NAND gates in logical gate functions can reduce the number of components needed, simplify the design process, and allow for easier troubleshooting and maintenance of the circuit.