Calculate Impedance of 400 Ohm Resistor, 300 Ohm Inductor and 50 V Voltage

In summary, A 400 Ohm resistor is connected in series with an inductor of reactance 300 Ohm and a capacitor C, and a 50 V voltage is applied to the circuit. Find impedance. It is possible to calculate it, and am I missing something or I would need Xc or I to do that? Thank you for a hint.
greg997
A 400 Ohm resistor is connected in series with an inductor of reactance 300 Ohm and a capacitor C, and a 50 V voltage is applied to the circuit.

Find impedance.
Is it possible to calculate it? Am I missing something or I would need Xc or I to do that? Thank you for a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
greg997 said:
A 400 Ohm resistor is connected in series with an inductor of reactance 300 Ohm and a capacitor C, and a 50 V voltage is applied to the circuit.

Find impedance.
Is it possible to calculate it? Am I missing something or I would need Xc or I to do that? Thank you for a hint.

You would need to know Xc or something else about the behavior of the circuit, such as the current, or whether the circuit was being driven at its natural frequency (resonance).

you need to know the value of the capacitance and you need to know the inductive reactance (300Ω )and the capacitative reactance Xc

Great thanks. One more question. I forgot to mention the Vs is at 0 degrees angle. Does it change anything?
Becouse Vs=sqrt(Vr^2+(Vl-Vc)^2), so I am thinking that in order to have Vs<0 angle , terms Vl-Vc must be zero. So that means the Xc=Xl= 200 Ohm. Am I right about that? Thank you

greg997 said:
Great thanks. One more question. I forgot to mention the Vs is at 0 degrees angle. Does it change anything?
Becouse Vs=sqrt(Vr^2+(Vl-Vc)^2), so I am thinking that in order to have Vs<0 angle , terms Vl-Vc must be zero. So that means the Xc=Xl= 200 Ohm. Am I right about that? Thank you

The angle of Vs is not diagnostic unless it's referred to the current angle. That is, you can draw conclusions about the total reactance of the circuit if you know what phase angle the current has with respect to the voltage.

Ok, Thank you. I appreciate your help

Usually the current is taken to be the reference direction because V and I are in phase for resistance. I would interpret V is at 0degrees to mean that V is in phase with I.
This means that Xc and Xl are equal and the circuit is at resonance.
It means that the impedance is just the resistance = 400ohms

Thank you technician.

Related to Calculate Impedance of 400 Ohm Resistor, 300 Ohm Inductor and 50 V Voltage

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How do you calculate impedance?

To calculate impedance, you need to know the values of resistance (R), inductance (L), and capacitance (C) in the circuit. The formula for calculating impedance is Z = √(R^2 + (XL-XC)^2), where XL is the inductive reactance and XC is the capacitive reactance.

3. What are the units of impedance?

The units of impedance are ohms (Ω), which represents the ratio of voltage to current in a circuit.

4. How do you calculate impedance for a circuit with a resistor, inductor, and voltage source?

To calculate impedance for a circuit with a resistor, inductor, and voltage source, you can use the formula Z = R + jXL, where R is the resistance in ohms, XL is the inductive reactance in ohms, and j is the imaginary unit.

5. What is the impedance of a circuit with a 400 Ohm resistor, 300 Ohm inductor, and 50 V voltage source?

Using the formula Z = R + jXL, the impedance of this circuit would be 400 + j300 ohms. This means that the magnitude of the impedance is √(400^2 + 300^2) = 500 ohms, and the phase angle is arctan(300/400) = 37.5 degrees.