Calculate N for Thermo Lab Vacuum at 293K

In summary, the best laboratory vacuum has a pressure of about 1.00 x 10-18 atm, or 1.01 x 10-13 Pa. There are about 10-2 molecules/cm3 in a laboratory vacuum at 293K.
kopinator
The best laboratory vacuum has a pressure of about 1.00 x 10-18 atm, or 1.01 x 10-13 Pa. How
many gas molecules are there per cubic centimeter in such a vacuum at 293K?

PV = nkT
P/kT = n/V = N (# of molecules per cm^3)

Since V is typically in units of m^3 or liters, should I make my volume .01V to account for the cm^3?

Physics news on Phys.org
kopinator said:
The best laboratory vacuum has a pressure of about 1.00 x 10-18 atm, or 1.01 x 10-13 Pa. How
many gas molecules are there per cubic centimeter in such a vacuum at 293K?

PV = nkT
P/kT = n/V = N (# of molecules per cm^3)

Since V is typically in units of m^3 or liters, should I make my volume .01V to account for the cm^3?

When making unit conversions, use the trick of multiplying by "1" to help you do the unit conversion.

So to convert from cm^3 to m^3 multiply by "1" like this:

[tex]1cm^3 * \frac{(1m)^3}{(100cm)^3}[/tex]

The cm^3 unit terms in the numerator and denominator cancel (just like numbers cancel if they are identical in the numerator and denominator of a fraction), and you are left with what in units of m^3? Hint -- It's not 0.01 ... :smile:

You are using the right equation. People are conditioned to see n as number of moles and N as number of molecules, so better use N.

Now try to work in a consistent set of units. SI units is what every reasonable person would use.
p in Pascal, Pa with 1Pa = 1 N/m[sup2[/sup]. Conversion: 1 atm = 101325 N/m[sup2[/sup].
k Boltzmann constant, J/K 1.3806488 10-23 J/K
T 293 K

The equation gives you n/V in molecules/m3.
Since the exercise asks for molecules/cm3, all you have to do is multiply by

( molecules/cm3 ) / (molecules/m3 ) = cm3 / m3 = (cm / m3) = (10-2)3

[I see berkeman beat me to it, well, good for you!

But I don't agree with him (/her?): pV = NkT is just fine. It's the same as pV = nRT since n = N/NA and R = kB*NA ]

Likes 1 person
Ok, sweet. Thank you!

Great post BvU. Thank you.

Related to Calculate N for Thermo Lab Vacuum at 293K

1. What is N in the context of a Thermo Lab Vacuum at 293K?

N refers to the number of gas molecules in a given volume of the vacuum at a temperature of 293K.

2. How is N calculated for a Thermo Lab Vacuum at 293K?

N is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that N = (PV)/(RT), where P is the pressure, V is the volume, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. Why is N important in a Thermo Lab Vacuum at 293K?

N is important because it helps determine the behavior and properties of the gas in the vacuum. It can also be used to calculate other important parameters, such as the density and mass of the gas.

4. Can N be changed for a Thermo Lab Vacuum at 293K?

Yes, N can be changed by altering the pressure, volume, or temperature of the vacuum. For example, increasing the pressure or decreasing the volume will result in a higher N value.

5. What is the unit of measurement for N in a Thermo Lab Vacuum at 293K?

The unit of measurement for N is typically expressed in moles (mol), which is a measure of the number of particles in a substance.