Calculate the Unknown Angle of a Right Triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of tan(90-a) based on the given information that cos(a) = 1/3 in a right triangle. The solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the opposite side of angle a and then using trigonometric identities to simplify the equation.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem

A right triangle has an angle a and we know that ##cos \ a = \frac{1}{3}##. What is ## tan \ (90°-a) ##
smmP7.png
The attempt
I know that the ration between the adjacent side and the hypothenuse is 1/3. I am not interested in the real lengths of the sides.

I can therefore calculate the possible length of the opposite side of the angle a by applying the Pythagorean theorem.

$$ 1^2+x^2=3^2 \\ 1+x^2=9 \\ x = \sqrt{8}= 2 \sqrt{2} $$

I can now write out tan(a):

$$ \tan(a)=\frac{\sqrt{8}}{1}=\sqrt{8} = 2 \sqrt{2}$$

And here is where I get stuck :,(

Note:
I have to calculate the angle without any calculator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an angle in your problem that is equal to 90 - a? If you figure that out, then can you find the tan of that angle?

Likes Rectifier
DEvens said:
Is there an angle in your problem that is equal to 90 - a? If you figure that out, then can you find the tan of that angle?
Oh!
sin(90-a)=cos(a) and cos(90-a)=sin(a)! :D

this means that

$$ tan (90-a)= \frac{sin(90-a)}{cos(90-a)}= \frac{cos(a)}{sin(a)}=cot(a)$$

Thank you so much!

What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a triangle with one angle measuring 90 degrees. This angle is known as the right angle and is formed by the intersection of the two shorter sides of the triangle.

What are the three sides of a right triangle?

The three sides of a right triangle are the hypotenuse, the side opposite the right angle, and the two shorter sides, also known as the legs. The hypotenuse is the longest side, and it is always opposite the right angle.

How do you calculate the unknown angle of a right triangle?

To calculate the unknown angle of a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or one of the trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, or tangent). The Pythagorean theorem states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. The trigonometric ratios relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical formula that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. It can be written as c² = a² + b², where c is the length of the hypotenuse, and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

What are the three trigonometric ratios?

The three trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. Sine is the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the hypotenuse. Cosine is the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse. Tangent is the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the adjacent side.