Calculate the voltage across a resistor using Thevenin's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using Thevenin's Theorem to find the voltage, but needing to first find I_D in order to calculate U_S. The suggestion is made to approach the problem by substituting a diode model into the circuit and analyzing it in both "on" and "off" configurations to determine when the diode will switch states. This approach can help when faced with complex circuits and uncertainty about where to start.
Andrei0408
Homework Statement
The diode in the next figure is considered ideal (i.e. works as a simple switch, being turned ON when U_D >= 0 and OFF when U_D < 0). What is the voltage U_S across R_S?
Relevant Equations
Thevenin's Theorem
I'm thinking I should apply Thevenin's Theorem to find the voltage, but I need to find I_D in order to be able to calculate U_S.

Attachments

• 20210503_215754.jpg
    20210503_215754.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 119
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei0408 said:
I need to find I_D in order to be able to calculate U_S.
You have been told that the diode works as a simple switch. So ##U_D = U_S## if the switch is ON -- never mind ##I_D##. Can you decide it is OFF or ON ?

##\ ##

Likes Andrei0408
One way to approach this is to substitute your diode model (a switch and a battery) into the circuit. This model has two switch states that have associated restrictions; no forward voltage across the switch when it's open and no reverse current when its shorted. Then you can just pick one state and analyze the circuit in that configuration to determine when the associated restriction is violated. That is the operating point at which the diode will switch states. You can do it with either "on" or "off" assumption, sometimes one is easier to solve than the other.

This approach is a good way to get "unstuck" when you have complex circuits and you don't know where to start. Just make an assumption and get started, but with the knowledge that you may have guessed wrong, then find out if, or under what conditions, you are right or wrong.

BvU said:
You have been told that the diode works as a simple switch. So ##U_D = U_S## if the switch is ON -- never mind ##I_D##. Can you decide it is OFF or ON ?

##\ ##
I'm not sure how to do that

Pick one and see if it leads to an inconsistency

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem states that any linear circuit can be simplified into an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistance, known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

2. How do I calculate the Thevenin voltage?

To calculate the Thevenin voltage, first remove the resistor of interest and determine the open-circuit voltage at the terminals. This is the Thevenin voltage.

3. What is the purpose of using Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and resistance, making it easier to analyze and solve for unknown values.

4. Can Thevenin's Theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's Theorem can only be applied to linear circuits, where the relationship between voltage and current is constant.

5. How do I calculate the voltage across a resistor using Thevenin's Theorem?

To calculate the voltage across a resistor using Thevenin's Theorem, first determine the Thevenin voltage and resistance of the equivalent circuit. Then, use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the voltage across the resistor of interest.