Calculate voltage over capacitor and resistance

Sailhill
Homework Statement
The task is to calculate the voltage over a capacitor and resistance after 1.0 ms. (Ux) if the capacitor had no charge before the switch was closed.
Relevant Equations
Vs=Vc*(1-exp((-t)/(R*C)))
Hi! I tried by using the Thevenin. Later using Vth and Rth to calculate Vs(0.1ms).
After that I divided the voltage from E over R1 and R3.

The circuit and my attempt:

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question you wish to ask? The numbers you put down are useless without units attached to them.

1) What is your question?
2) Check your value for Vth. I found something different. If you think you were correct, please describe your method.
3) Your result for the exponential calculation used 1msec, but your notes say 10msec.
4) Personally, I very much prefer to use a scientific or engineering notation, like 1⋅10-6 instead of 0.000001. I HATE counting long strings of zeros; I often screw it up and have little confidence in my accuracy.

In general it looks to me like you need to slow down a bit and don't skip steps. It just seems a bit sloppy to me.

DaveE said:
I HATE counting long strings of zeros;
Amen, brother. In this particular problem time ##t## is given in ms so it would be expedient to convert the time constant to ms before substituting. That is one of the many reasons why putting down units is important.

DaveE said:
1) What is your question?
2) Check your value for Vth. I found something different. If you think you were correct, please describe your method.
3) Your result for the exponential calculation used 1msec, but your notes say 10msec.
4) Personally, I very much prefer to use a scientific or engineering notation, like 1⋅10-6 instead of 0.000001. I HATE counting long strings of zeros; I often screw it up and have little confidence in my accuracy.

In general it looks to me like you need to slow down a bit and don't skip steps. It just seems a bit sloppy to me.
1) The question in the task is: "What is the voltage across capacitor Ux 1ms after the switch "S" is closed?"
The capacitor is initially uncharged. I'm having difficulty obtaining the correct answer and identifying my mistake.
2) I recalculated and now obtained the Thevenin voltage (Vth) as 1.1905 V.
3) Ah, that was an error. The time should indeed be 1 ms.
4) Sorry for the messy notes. I re did the calculation, trying to keep it clearer.

I believe I've correctly determined the Thevenin equivalent now. However, my main challenge lies in calculating Vc and integrating it with Vs. I'm uncertain about the accuracy of my method in calculating Vs and Vc separately and then combining them. I wrote in the notes from what part I am uncertain.

Attachments

• Notes_240328_233309_1.jpg
    Notes_240328_233309_1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Notes_240328_233309_2.jpg
    Notes_240328_233309_2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Notes_240328_233309_3.jpg
    Notes_240328_233309_3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4
I agree with your answer that the voltage across the capacitor and resistor R2 at t = 1 ms is 0.87 V. Isn't that what you had to find? I don't understand what you mean by (Ux). If this problem is originally in a non-English language, try https://translate.google.com/ and post the translation it gives you.

Sailhill said:
However, my main challenge lies in calculating Vc and integrating it with Vs.
Are you asking how the exponential response formula ##V_c = V_s (1-e^{ \frac{-t}{\tau}}) ## is derived?
If so, have you studied calculus and simple differential equations yet?

You will need to solve for the currents, mostly through R1. Then use KVL to determine the voltage Ux.

Thanks for the help! I used KVL and got the correct answer, much appreciated :smile:

Vs - (R1*I) - Vc - (R3*I)=0
I=1.29 mA
VR3=I * R3
VR3=1.29 mA * 2.2k Ohm, (VR3: voltage over R3)
Ux=VR3 + Vc
Ux=3.71 V

Likes BvU and DaveE