Calculating Phase & Line Current

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying for a Level 3 Diploma in Electro technical science who is struggling with a question that requires them to calculate the phase and line current when three resistors are connected to a 400 V three-phase supply in both star and delta configurations. The student is seeking help in understanding how to apply the formulae provided in a link given by another user. They are directed to seek assistance in the Homework Help forums for further guidance.
shnabz2
< Mentor Note -- thread moved from EE to the Homework Help forums >

I'm studying for a Level 3 Diploma in Electro technical science. My tutor had a hard time teaching me what I need to know in order to answer this question;

Calculate the phase and line current when three resistors each having a resistance of 15Ω are connected, to a 400 V three-phase supply, in
A) Star (Wye)
B) Delta

Could someone show me the steps involved in solving this please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Linghunt
zoki85 said:
Thanks for your attempt, however this is just as useless as my tutor. I don't need help finding information. I need help applying the information to a real scenario. The formulae's in the link you gave me show the relationship between Phase/Line current. What I'm having trouble with is actually getting a value in the first place.

Thankyou! Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

Related to Calculating Phase & Line Current

What is the difference between phase current and line current?

Phase current is the current flowing through an individual phase of a three-phase electrical system. Line current, on the other hand, is the total current flowing through all three phases of the system.

How do you calculate phase current?

To calculate phase current, divide the line current by the square root of 3. This is because in a three-phase system, the line current is equal to the phase current multiplied by the square root of 3.

How do you calculate line current?

To calculate line current, multiply the phase current by the square root of 3. This is because in a three-phase system, the line current is equal to the phase current multiplied by the square root of 3.

What is the relationship between phase current and line current in a balanced three-phase system?

In a balanced three-phase system, the phase and line currents are equal. This is because the load is divided equally among the three phases, resulting in equal currents in each phase.

Why is it important to calculate phase and line current?

Calculating phase and line current is important for understanding the electrical load on a three-phase system. It can also help with sizing and selecting appropriate equipment and ensuring the safety and efficiency of the system.