Calculating Rated Power Output & Energy Capture for Marine Current Turbines

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rated power output and energy capture per cycle for a tidal turbine. There is also a mention of putting limits to integration and using the equation V= Vmax.sin wt. The suggestion is made to build a model and test it in a water tank due to the many variables and the non-linear scaling of fluid flow models.
samu22
Hi

i am trying to find rated power output for turbine for tidal, and energy capture per cycle i am putting limits to integration T1 and T2 i know i can assume period of 12 hours and 25 mints which is 745 mint for quarter cycle T1 would be 745/4 so T1 is 186.25 but i don't know how cani find T2
we also know V= Vmax.sin wt

can anyone help pls

Engineering news on Phys.org
samu22 said:
Hi

i am trying to find rated power output for turbine for tidal, and energy capture per cycle i am putting limits to integration T1 and T2 i know i can assume period of 12 hours and 25 mints which is 745 mint for quarter cycle T1 would be 745/4 so T1 is 186.25 but i don't know how cani find T2
we also know V= Vmax.sin wt

can anyone help pls

The best I can think of would be to suggest that you build a model and test it in a water tank. There are so many variables. And remember that models for fluid flow don't scale up by direct proportion.

1. What is the formula for calculating rated power output for marine current turbines?

The formula for calculating rated power output for marine current turbines is P = ρ * A * V^3 * C, where P is the power output, ρ is the density of the water, A is the swept area of the turbine blades, V is the velocity of the water, and C is the coefficient of power.

2. How can I determine the energy capture potential of a marine current turbine?

The energy capture potential of a marine current turbine can be determined by multiplying the rated power output by the number of hours in a day and the number of days in a year. This will give you the total energy capture potential in kilowatt-hours (kWh).

3. What factors can affect the rated power output and energy capture of marine current turbines?

The rated power output and energy capture of marine current turbines can be affected by various factors including the speed and direction of the water currents, the design and efficiency of the turbine blades, the depth and location of the turbine, and the maintenance and upkeep of the turbine.

4. How does the water velocity impact the rated power output of marine current turbines?

The water velocity has a significant impact on the rated power output of marine current turbines. As the velocity of the water increases, the power output also increases exponentially, according to the formula P = ρ * A * V^3 * C. Therefore, higher water velocities can greatly increase the energy production of a marine current turbine.

5. Can marine current turbines be used in both tidal and ocean currents?

Yes, marine current turbines can be used in both tidal and ocean currents. However, the design and placement of the turbine may need to be adjusted for different types of currents in order to optimize the energy capture potential. For example, tidal currents are more predictable and consistent, while ocean currents can vary in speed and direction, so the turbine design may need to be more flexible for ocean currents.