I want to calculate degree of saturation of a brine with SG and temp known

In summary, a brine is a water solution with a high salt content. Brine can be measured with specific gravity and degrees Fahrenheit. A formula can be inserted into the two measured values to determine the degree of saturation of the brine.
rezaxis
I want to measure salt brines. I can measure specific gravity and degrees Fahrenheit. I need a formula into which I can insert the two measured values and resolve to get the degree of saturation of my brine.

I can't find a formula, so I'm not sure a formula exists, but I can't understand why not. I've been told it's all empirical knowledge. There are charts to adjust SG for temperature, and Hydrometers scaled with degree of saturation, called by various names such as a Brinometer, salometer, salinometer and such, but I don't have one of those. My hydrometer just measures specific gravity and is calibrated at 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm finding brine measurement scales confusing. There are a lot of different salt solution scales. I seem to always get answers that try to lead me to % salinity which is not what I'm looking for. At 26.395% salinity water at 60 degrees Fahrenheit (I think) is a saturated solution and therefore is 100% saturated. Of course pure water is 0%. This is the scale I want to solve for.

Can you help me? Am I even posting in the right place? I've spent many, many hours on the internet searching for what I seek and have come up lacking. Maybe someone can lead me to the be all, end all reference on brine, or maybe there is a "Brine for Dummies" book out there?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You could plot specific gravity vs. percent salinity and get a linear relationship. In the range of 3% to 3.7% salinity, the SG varies fairly linearly http://www.glaucus.org.uk/sg.htm" . The y-intercept is 0.9939 at 15C and 0.9980 at 25C, which is close enough in my book.

From there you could scale the percent salinity to degrees of saturation by ratio using 0 degrees for 0 % salinity and 100 degrees for 26.395% (at what temperature?).

http://www.drydenaqua.com/Graphs_tables/specificgravity.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

I can understand your frustration in trying to find a formula for calculating the degree of saturation of a brine. The truth is, there is no one formula that can accurately determine the degree of saturation of a brine based solely on specific gravity and temperature. This is because the degree of saturation is affected by multiple factors, including the type and concentration of salt in the brine, as well as other environmental factors such as pressure and pH.

One possible reason why you are having difficulty finding a formula is because the degree of saturation is not a commonly used term in the scientific community. It is more common to use terms such as salinity or concentration to describe the amount of salt in a solution. However, I understand that you are specifically interested in determining the degree of saturation, so I will try to provide some guidance on how you can approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the degree of saturation is a measure of how much of a given salt can be dissolved in a solution at a particular temperature and pressure. It is often expressed as a percentage, with 100% representing a fully saturated solution (where no more salt can be dissolved). This means that the degree of saturation is dependent on the solubility of the salt in question, which can vary greatly depending on the type and concentration of the salt.

As you mentioned, there are charts and tables available that can help you adjust the specific gravity of a solution to account for temperature. These charts are based on the density of water, which changes with temperature. However, these charts are not specific to brines and may not accurately reflect the density changes of a brine solution.

To accurately determine the degree of saturation of your brine, you will need to know the solubility of the salt in question at the given temperature and concentration. This information can often be found in scientific literature or databases. Once you have this information, you can use it to calculate the maximum amount of salt that can be dissolved in your solution at the given temperature and specific gravity. Then, by comparing this value to the actual amount of salt in your solution, you can calculate the degree of saturation.

In summary, while there may not be a specific formula for calculating the degree of saturation of a brine, it is possible to determine it by understanding the solubility of the salt in question and comparing it to the actual salt concentration in the solution. I hope this helps guide you in your search for a

1. What is the formula for calculating degree of saturation of a brine?

The formula for calculating degree of saturation of a brine is: degree of saturation = (salt concentration in brine / saturation concentration of salt) * 100%

2. How do I determine the salt concentration in a brine?

The salt concentration in a brine can be determined by dividing the weight of the salt in the brine by the weight of the total brine.

3. What is the saturation concentration of salt?

The saturation concentration of salt is the maximum amount of salt that can dissolve in a given volume of water at a specific temperature. It varies depending on the temperature and type of salt.

4. Can I use any units for the specific gravity and temperature in the calculation?

Yes, you can use any units as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use specific gravity in g/cm3, then you must use temperature in degrees Celsius.

5. Why is it important to calculate the degree of saturation of a brine?

Calculating the degree of saturation of a brine is important because it helps determine the stability of the brine. If the degree of saturation is too high, the brine may become supersaturated and cause precipitation of salt. If it is too low, the brine may not be effective for its intended purpose.