Calculating the central temperature of the Sun using the ideal gas law

accalternata
Homework Statement
Assuming an ideal gas law with no radiation pressure, P = ρkT/µmH, find
an expression for T(r).
Given mu = 0.61 for the Sun (you can use the Sun’s mass and radius), what
is the central temperature of the Sun in this model?
Relevant Equations
See below
2.PNG
1.PNG

I derived the equation for P so I substituted that into this equation. I'm struggling with finding rho_c (central density) and rho.
Am I supposed to use the average density for rho (can calculate this since I know the radius of Sun and mass)? That still leaves the problem with the central density though.

Physics news on Phys.org
accalternata said:
Am I supposed to use the average density for rho (can calculate this since I know the radius of Sun and mass)? That still leaves the problem with the central density though.
It's hard to know you are supposed to do. This is not my area but (in the absence of other replies) how about this...

It may be acceptable to assume some simple form for ##\rho(r)##. For example (as used in section 5.1 of this link) ##\rho(r) = \rho_{centre} ( 1 -\frac rR)##.

You can then integrate to get an expression for ##M## in terms of ##R## and ##\rho_{centre}## and hence find a value for ##\rho_{centre}##. This should be in the right 'ball park' which (in the context of the question) is probably acceptable.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is the temperature.

How is the ideal gas law used to calculate the central temperature of the Sun?

The ideal gas law can be used to calculate the central temperature of the Sun by rearranging the equation to solve for temperature (T). This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by nR and then substituting in the known values for pressure, volume, and number of moles of the Sun's core. The resulting temperature will be the central temperature of the Sun.

What values are used for pressure, volume, and number of moles in the calculation?

The pressure, volume, and number of moles used in the calculation are based on the known properties of the Sun's core. The pressure is estimated to be around 2.5 x 10^11 Pascals, the volume is estimated to be around 1.4 x 10^27 cubic meters, and the number of moles is estimated to be around 2.10 x 10^57.

Are there any limitations to using the ideal gas law to calculate the central temperature of the Sun?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the ideal gas law for this calculation. The ideal gas law assumes that the gas is in a state of thermal equilibrium, which may not be the case in the Sun's core. Additionally, the ideal gas law does not take into account factors such as nuclear reactions and radiation, which also play a role in determining the central temperature of the Sun.

What is the current estimated value for the central temperature of the Sun?

The current estimated value for the central temperature of the Sun is around 15.6 million Kelvin (K) or 28.1 million degrees Fahrenheit (F). This value is based on a combination of observations and theoretical models, and may vary slightly depending on the method used for calculation.