Calculating Time Derivatives of Terms with Autonomous Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining time derivatives of terms involving autonomous systems. The use of symbolic math functions in programs like Maple, Mathematica, and MATLAB is suggested. An example of terms and their derivatives is given, with the goal of expressing each term's derivative in terms of other terms or with a coefficient of R and f and their respective derivatives. The use of Mathcad for symbolic and numeric differentiation is also mentioned.
thecoop
Hi guys

I have 5 term which each term includes three function of time (autonomous system ), i want to obtain time derivative of each term as other terms for example if i define each term as a dimensionless variable , e.g. x , y , z , v , w , i want to know dx/dt = as a combination of x , y , z , v , w.

In maple or mathematica or MATLAB is there any way to do it ?

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
in MATLAB it requires the symbolic toolbox (which you have to pay extra for). I'm pretty sure mathematica comes automatically with symbolic math functions. No idea about maple.

try typing this:

(d/dt)t^2

into here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

for a taste of mathematica

Mathcad also has symbolic differentiation and can do numeric differentiation if that would be better suited to your purpose.
Can you give an example of a couple of your terms?

NemoReally said:
Mathcad also has symbolic differentiation and can do numeric differentiation if that would be better suited to your purpose.
Can you give an example of a couple of your terms?

1=ρ/3 H^2+x1+x2+x3+x4+x5

x1=ρ λ f/6 H^2
x2=-ρ λ f' R/6 H^2
x3=λ f" ρ R`/H
x4=3 λ f' ρ
x5=ρ^2 λ f' / 3 H^2

where H=a`(t) /a(t)

R=6(2H^2+H`)

f(R)

ρ(t)

λ Constant
f' = the first derivative wrt R
f"= the second derivative wrt R
R`=the first derivative wrt t
a`=the first derivative wrt t

I want each term derivation wrt to time expressed as other terms(x1 , x2 , ...) or at least have a Coefficient as R and f ( with its derivations wrt to R ) .

Pythagorean said:
try typing this:

(d/dt)t^2

into here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

for a taste of mathematica

i don't know with what command i can do this !

1. How do I calculate the time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems?

To calculate the time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems, you can use the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of each term in the system, and then multiplying them together. It is important to keep track of the variables and their corresponding derivatives to ensure accuracy.

2. What are the key steps in calculating time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems?

The key steps in calculating time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems include identifying the variables and their derivatives, applying the chain rule, and simplifying the resulting expression. It is also important to check for any algebraic mistakes or simplification errors.

3. Can I use any method other than the chain rule to calculate time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used, such as the product rule or quotient rule. However, the chain rule is the most commonly used method for calculating time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems.

4. Why is it important to calculate time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems?

Calculating time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems allows us to understand how the variables in the system change over time. This is crucial in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where the behavior of systems over time is of interest.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when calculating time derivatives of terms with autonomous systems?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to apply the chain rule, making algebraic errors, and not simplifying the resulting expression. It is also important to carefully track the variables and their corresponding derivatives throughout the calculation process.