Calculating work done in draining water

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work required (in ft-lbs) to pump water out of an outlet when r = 3ft. The weight of water is given as 62.5lb/ft3 and the goal is to calculate the work to within ten ft-lbs. Different equations and attempts at a solution are discussed, including using the relationship between force and distance, finding volume using integration, and establishing a relationship between r and y. Ultimately, the correct solution is found by correcting a mistake in the substitution for r.
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/BWo3tLh

Using the fact that the weight of water is 62.5lb/ft3, find the work (in ft-lbs) required to pump the water out of the outlet when r =3ft. Make sure your answer is correct to within ten ft-lbs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that Work is just force*distance, and force in this case is 62.5*V, while distance is just 3-height of the water, which i set as y

I then get this equation for work

62.5V(3-y)

to find volume i wrote this as

∫62.5(pi)r^2(3-y) from y=-3 to y=0 bottom of hemisphere to top)which can be written as

62.5pi∫r^2(3-y)

I then tried to figure out a relationship between r and y, and i figured that because the hemisphere fit on the graph y=√(9-x^2) and then i plugged in r for x and rearranged it to give

r=√(9-y^2)

Then i put this back into the equation to finally get

62.5pi∫(9-y^2)(3-y) = 62.5pi∫27-9y-3y^2+y^3

After integrating i get 62.5pi(27y-9y^2/2-y^3+y^4/4)

Then plugging in the points from -3 to 0 i finally end up with

-62.5pi(-81-81/2+27+81/4) =~14579 ft lbs

this is incorrect though.

I feel like i may have used a wrong substitution for r, but i do not know how i can relate r and y. can anyone help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
doctordiddy said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/BWo3tLh

Using the fact that the weight of water is 62.5lb/ft3, find the work (in ft-lbs) required to pump the water out of the outlet when r =3ft. Make sure your answer is correct to within ten ft-lbs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that Work is just force*distance, and force in this case is 62.5*V, while distance is just 3-height of the water, which i set as y

I then get this equation for work

62.5V(3-y)

to find volume i wrote this as

∫62.5(pi)r^2(3-y) from y=-3 to y=0 bottom of hemisphere to top)which can be written as

62.5pi∫r^2(3-y)

I then tried to figure out a relationship between r and y, and i figured that because the hemisphere fit on the graph y=√(9-x^2) and then i plugged in r for x and rearranged it to give

r=√(9-y^2)

Then i put this back into the equation to finally get

62.5pi∫(9-y^2)(3-y) = 62.5pi∫27-9y-3y^2+y^3

After integrating i get 62.5pi(27y-9y^2/2-y^3+y^4/4)

Then plugging in the points from -3 to 0 i finally end up with

-62.5pi(-81-81/2+27+81/4) =~14579 ft lbs

this is incorrect though.

I feel like i may have used a wrong substitution for r, but i do not know how i can relate r and y. can anyone help?

Thanks

You are saying height=(3-y). If y=(-3) at the bottom and y=0 at the top, does that really work? That would say height=6 and the bottom and height=3 at top. Doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You are saying height=(3-y). If y=(-3) at the bottom and y=0 at the top, does that really work? That would say height=6 and the bottom and height=3 at top. Doesn't seem right.

oh i see. I forgot to change that when i was trying to do it another way previously. Thanks for the help!

1. How is work done calculated in draining water?

Work done in draining water is calculated by multiplying the force needed to lift the water by the distance it is lifted. This is known as the work-energy principle, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. What is the formula for calculating work done in draining water?

The formula for calculating work done in draining water is W = Fd, where W is work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the water is lifted.

3. Can work done in draining water be negative?

Yes, work done in draining water can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This indicates that the energy is being transferred from the system (water) to the surroundings.

4. How does the density and volume of water affect the work done in draining it?

The density and volume of water do not directly affect the work done, as they do not change the force or distance needed to lift the water. However, a larger volume of water will require more work to be done to drain it compared to a smaller volume.

5. Is there a difference in calculating work done for draining water from a container versus draining it from a larger body of water?

Yes, there is a difference in calculating work done for draining water from a container versus draining it from a larger body of water. When draining water from a container, the force and distance are constant, making the calculation simple. However, when draining water from a larger body, the force and distance will vary depending on the depth of the water and the location of the drain, making the calculation more complex.