Calculation with this electric circuit (battery and resistors)

In summary, You were able to determine the voltage drop across the resistors by applying Ohm's law. You were able to identify which current would be involved by knowing which polarity the current flows in.
AnneX
Homework Statement
This is not homework, but a problem I came across while studying
Relevant Equations
None, as you have to find the wrong statement
Hey,

I am struggling a bit, als I try to solve this problem - I‘d say all five statements are correct, but it is said, that one must be incorrect
FE29A963-69FD-4FF7-83AA-86EE24C24F54.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Please explain your reasoning for obtaining values for ##\varphi_A##, ##\varphi_B##, etc.

I marked it in the image
6E014F5D-7F6B-4E3C-93FF-5613F0D37157.jpeg

this is all I got for this problem

Why do you think that ##\varphi_A = -4## V? What is your thought process for deducing this?

That was my train of thought:
4E578F03-1FC0-4B5F-94AA-56D530C2D3B3.jpeg

1597170986430.png

How did you get from a resistance of 4 ##\Omega## to a voltage drop of -4 V? Does a resistance of 4 ##\Omega## always correspond to a voltage drop of -4 V?

No, it does not, but this is multiple choice and I am trying to find the incorrect statement while being very clueless... :(

Last edited:
We need to identify why you are having trouble with this problem.

Suppose you have 2 A of current through a 5 ##\Omega## resistor as shown below

1597171934231.png

The potential at point ##b## is given to be 12 V. Can you figure out the potential at point ##a##?

Likes etotheipi
7V?

Wait I think I got it, is that correct:
B3DA24F3-29BA-499E-BA21-53989B3A9E1A.jpeg

AnneX said:
7V?
7 V is incorrect. Does the current play a role in determining the voltage at ##a##?

Hint: Ohm's law

This is the point I got to
F40F6090-D855-4862-A11A-75B340621D1F.jpeg
to

You correctly applied Ohm's law to find that there is a 10 V drop across the resistor. But how did you arrive at a value of 17 V for the potential at point ##a##?

12+5... I am still not sure if a is 2V or 22V

AnneX said:
I am still not sure if a is 2V or 22V
This is where the direction of the current is important. Whenever current flows through a resistor, the voltage is higher on the side of the resistor where the current enters the resistor. That is, voltage drops as you go through a resistor in the direction of the current.

An analogy might help (but, beware of analogies!). If you have a horizontal pipe full of water and you want the water to flow from left to right through the pipe, then you need a higher pressure at the left end of the pipe compared to the right end.

Likewise, in order for the current to flow from left to right in the 5 ##\Omega## resistor, the potential must be higher at the left side of the resistor compared to the right side.

So it is 22V

AnneX said:
So ist is 22V
Yes. Good. You can see that you had to know the current going through the resistor.

So, going back to the original question, what are you going to need to find first before you can determine the voltage drop across each resistor? And, how are you going to do that?

Likes AnneX, DaveE and etotheipi
The current, to calculate the voltage drop
5A4FBFF9-0407-4343-B52A-11D66D5E8B38.jpeg

Good. You're almost home.

Yes, the potential is given to be 0 at point E.

Note: We prefer posters to type their work rather than post pictures, if possible. This makes it easier for helpers to quote specific parts of a post. On the toolbar there are various tools for typing superscripts, subscripts, math symbols, etc.

Last edited:
Likes AnneX
B139D2D5-1461-4EBC-BEC7-54575900E12E.jpeg

That is what I got: potential a is -4V potential b -3V and potential c +6V, as the flow of current goes from the positive pole to the negative pole - at least that is what I read about it, but I find it kinda confusing

AnneX said:
That is what I got: potential a is -4V potential b -3V and potential c +6V
Looks correct. Now you can tell which option is incorrect.
AnneX said:
as the flow of current goes from the positive pole to the negative pole - at least that is what I read about it, but I find it kinda confusing
Look up "conventional current" vs "electron current".

So c is incorrect. But how do I know which one of these two currents applies to a problem?

AnneX said:
But how do I know which one of these two currents applies to a problem?
You can use any. Conventional current is just opposite to the electron current. As long as you are consistent with polarities and sign conventions in circuit laws, you will be okay.
I will suggest you stick to the conventional current approach, as the electon-current approach is now almost non-existent in circuit analysis.
(..though I remember some standard textbooks explicitly mentioning "conventional current edition" on their cover, so I am not sure).

Likes AnneX

1. How do I calculate the total resistance of a circuit with multiple resistors?

The total resistance of a circuit with multiple resistors can be calculated by adding the individual resistances together. For resistors in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. For resistors in parallel, the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances.

2. What is the formula for calculating the voltage in a circuit?

The formula for calculating voltage in a circuit is V = IR, where V is the voltage in volts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms.

3. How do I determine the current in a circuit with a battery and resistors?

The current in a circuit with a battery and resistors can be determined by using Ohm's law: I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, creating multiple paths for the current to flow.

5. How do I calculate the power dissipated in a resistor?

The power dissipated in a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is the power in watts, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where R is the resistance in ohms.