Calculus for Beginners: Basics & Examples

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adding and subtracting positive and negative quantities in equations and how it relates to the change in mass over time. The equation remains the same regardless of whether the quantity is positive or negative. The confusion arises from the expectations based on changes in a rocket's mass, but the equation still holds true.
Frigus
My question is as it is as you have read in the heading and please tell me in taking mind that I am not a calculus master but just a beginner.

Physics news on Phys.org
Post the exact equation that you’re asking about, please.

This is derivation part sir.

This is resnick halliday (principle of physics) tenth edition page no. 210

[Mentor Note -- image processed for better legibility]

1578409989592.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20200107_203510.jpg
    IMG_20200107_203510.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
If ##dM## is a negative quantity, as Resnick states, then ##M + dM## is correct.

E.g. suppose ##M = 100kg## and ##dM = -1 kg##, then the new mass is:

##M' = M + dM = 100kg + (-1kg) = 99kg##

PeroK said:
If ##dM## is a negative quantity, as Resnick states, then ##M + dM## is correct.

E.g. suppose ##M = 100kg## and ##dM = -1 kg##, then the new mass is:

##M' = M + dM = 100kg + (-1kg) = 99kg##
Sir I understand it but I was watching this mit lecture in which that sir told (at 0:30)that we write it as positive because this is how we define differential but it didn't made any sense to me so to clarify it I posted this thread.
Can you please explain the point that he wanted to explain.

Hemant said:
Sir I understand it but I was watching this mit lecture in which that sir told (at 0:30)that we write it as positive because this is how we define differential but it didn't made any sense to me so to clarify it I posted this thread.
Can you please explain the point that he wanted to explain.

You may be confusing "adding" or "subtracting" things with "positive" and "negative" quantities.

For example, we have the well-known equation: $$s = ut + \frac 1 2 a t^2$$
This is correct, regardless of whether ##a## is a positive or negative quantity.

If ##a = +1m/s^2##, then that equation is correct; and if ##a = -1m/s^2## that equation is correct.

In the same way ##u##, the initial velocity, could be positive ot negative.

Similarly, for a difference in some quantity ##Q## we have $$Q' = Q + \Delta Q$$
Which says that the new quantity ##Q'## is the original quantity ##Q## plus the change ##\Delta Q##. That is correct whether ##Q## and/or ##\Delta Q## are positive or negative quantities.

In general, you don't change an equation because you know a quantity is negative. The equation remains the same, it's just the numbers (when you come to plug them in) can be positive or negative.

Likes Frigus
I sympathize with your confusion. With a rocket you know how the mass is changing and that biases your expectations regarding the equation.

Let me reiterate what others have said. Let’s say you have an object which is changing mass over time. The mass as a function of time is

M(t)

the change in mass over time is

##\frac {dM} {dt}##

If I told you ##\frac {dM} {dt}## is positive would you say the object is gaining mass or losing mass? Gaining mass, right? If I said it was negative you would say it is losing mass, right? Now if I write an equation using the symbol ##\frac {dM} {dt}## I'm not indicating what the sign of ##\frac {dM} {dt}## is. It could still be positive (gaining mass) or negative (losing mass). In the equation I might write

M(t) = ##M_0 + \frac {dM} {dt}## t

the symbol has a plus sign. It is added to the mass, but it can take on a positive or negative value

Likes Frigus
Thanks to everyone

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical methods to analyze and model continuous change in quantities such as speed, acceleration, and area.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides powerful tools for solving real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It also helps in understanding the fundamental concepts of mathematics and provides a foundation for more advanced topics.

3. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and finding the area under curves.

4. What are the basic concepts in calculus?

The basic concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to define the behavior of a function at a specific point, derivatives are used to find the rate of change of a function, and integrals are used to find the area under a curve.

5. How can I apply calculus in real life?

Calculus has numerous applications in real life, such as in engineering for designing structures and predicting motion, in economics for analyzing markets and optimizing profits, and in medicine for modeling biological processes. It is also used in everyday situations, such as calculating rates of change and finding optimal solutions.