Calibrate thermistor and collect data

In summary, the conversation is about using analog temperature probes and recording data with a Modbus converter for remote data acquisition. The person is asking for suggestions on how to calibrate the sensors for changing wire lengths. The response is that as long as the wires are not too thin, the resistance should not change and calibration should not be necessary.
nlaham
Hi Guys,

I am working on a project and am not that electrically savvy so I was hoping if someone could let me know how I'm doing.

I want to use analog temperature probes (10K thermistors) and record data to a input module, which will convert it to Modbus (a communication protocol) that I can use for remote data aquisition.

These are the senors I would like to use - http://www.datanab.com/sensors/Thermistor_SSP3.htm

This is the input signal to Modbus converter that will accept the thermistors - http://www.obvius.com/pdfs/A8332-8F2D_Datasheet.pdf

As far as I know, as long as I can read the data, I should be able to use the Ohm conversion chart on the datanab.com website to convert to Temp.

My main question is, if I change wire lengths, won't my resistance change. So I will need to calibrate each sensor based on wire lengths. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I was going to use an ice bath, and a tea kettle boiler to calibrate at 0 and 100 degrees C.

Anyone have experience in this matter? I'm not sure if I need to send power through those sensors or if the input module will do that. Sorry, kind of clueless on all of this.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
nlaham said:
My main question is, if I change wire lengths, won't my resistance change. So I will need to calibrate each sensor based on wire lengths.
The answer is no, provided that the wires are not too thin. For a single thermistor, even AWG 22 should be plenty thick enough.

1. What is a thermistor and how does it work?

A thermistor is a type of temperature sensor that works by changing its electrical resistance in response to changes in temperature. This change in resistance can then be measured and used to determine the temperature.

2. Why is it important to calibrate a thermistor?

Calibrating a thermistor involves comparing its readings to a known standard in order to ensure accuracy. This is important because thermistors can drift over time and may give incorrect readings if not calibrated regularly.

3. How do you calibrate a thermistor?

To calibrate a thermistor, you will need a known standard temperature source, such as an ice bath or boiling water, and a multimeter to measure the resistance of the thermistor. Place the thermistor in the known standard temperature and record the resistance. Then, repeat this process at several different temperatures to create a calibration curve.

4. Can a thermistor be used to measure temperatures outside of its calibrated range?

It is not recommended to use a thermistor to measure temperatures outside of its calibrated range. This can result in inaccurate readings and potentially damage the thermistor. If you need to measure temperatures outside of the calibrated range, consider using a different type of temperature sensor.

5. How do you collect and analyze data from a calibrated thermistor?

Data can be collected from a calibrated thermistor by measuring the resistance at different temperatures and plotting it on a graph. The resulting curve can then be used to determine the temperature at any given resistance reading. Data analysis techniques such as linear regression can also be used to further analyze the data and determine the accuracy of the thermistor's readings.