Can Any Linear Operator Be Expressed Using Hermitian Components?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that any linear operator can be written as the sum of a Hermitian operator and an anti-Hermitian operator. This is similar to the property that any real linear operator can be written as the sum of a symmetric part and an anti-symmetric part. The proof uses the properties of Hermitian operators and the definition of the adjoint operator.
andre220

Homework Statement

Show that any linear operator [itex]\hat{L}[/itex] can be written as [itex]\hat{L} = \hat{A} + i\hat{B}[/itex], where [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] are Hermitian operators.

Homework Equations

The properties of hermitian operators.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start with this one. For example, we know that if an operator, A is hermitian, then [itex]\langle g\mid A f \rangle = \langle f\mid A g\rangle^*[/itex]. But I do not see how to break up L into any combination of other operators. Any help would be appreciated, perhaps a nudge in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
andre220 said:
Show that any linear operator [itex]\hat{L}[/itex] can be written as [itex]\hat{L} = \hat{A} + i\hat{B}[/itex], where [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] are Hermitian operators.
What would ##\hat L^\dagger## look like?

If ##\hat{A},\hat{B}## are Hermitian then ##i\hat{B}## is anti-Hermitian. So the problem is really just asking you to prove that any operator is a sum of a Hermitian part and an anti-Hermitian part. This is very similar that any real linear operator is a sum of a symmetric part and an anti-symmetric part. Do you know how that property is proved?

Related to Can Any Linear Operator Be Expressed Using Hermitian Components?

What is a Linear Operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that takes in a vector as input and produces another vector as output. It follows the properties of linearity, meaning that it preserves addition and scalar multiplication.

Why is Linear Operator formulation important?

Linear Operator formulation is important because it allows us to represent and manipulate linear transformations in a concise and efficient manner. It is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are some examples of Linear Operators?

Some examples of Linear Operators include rotation matrices, differentiation and integration operators, and Fourier transform operators.

What is the difference between a Linear Operator and a Matrix?

A Linear Operator is a function, while a matrix is a representation of that function in a specific coordinate system. In other words, a Linear Operator is abstract, while a matrix is a concrete representation.

How is Linear Operator formulation used in solving problems?

Linear Operator formulation is used in solving problems by transforming them into a mathematical form that can be solved using linear algebra techniques. This allows for efficient and accurate solutions to problems in various fields.